My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4,873 Posts
And what seems to be that problem GravelyCappy? I am going to move this to the Gravely forum for more attention...hope it works...but do let us know what that problem is

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 566 has not run since last year (no snowblowing this winter in Maryland!). When I went to start it and the battery was dead, I put it on the charger for a couple of days. Still wouldn't turn over. Jump started the Gravely with my other tractor (Kubota B7500 HST) and it started right up. As soon as I disconnected the jumper cable from the Kubota, the Gravely started to stall out. Clamped the jumper cable back on and the Gravely ran fine. Let it idle for a couple of minutes, disconnected the jumper cable, and it conked right out. I'm used to jump starting a car, when you get it running the electrical system runs off the alternator, plus re-charges the battery. Is this a similar situation with my 566? Is the alternator dead, as well as the battery? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
4,873 Posts
Sounds like the battery is stone dead..if you have a multi meter check it after charging...if you don't have a multi meter.bring it to a place that you would buy a new battery from...have them load test it....I am pretty sure that they will tell you that you need a new one...once a new one is installed I am pretty sure that it will go back to operating properly

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Yep. Enough dead cells that it won't hold any sort of charge, not even enough to run the ignition. Scrap it and get a replacement.

·
2,872 Posts
You need a new battery... charging that is too much load and keep the engine running too. You could also burn up your charging system trying.

🍻

·
4,873 Posts
The battery is too far gone to take and hold a charge.....so you need that one way or another...take care of that and I am pretty sure that you problem will be a thing of the past

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's the best bang for the buck on a new battery. The only numbers I see on it are 6220. It's a 9 x 7 x 8" tall roughly, with the old-style round posts on top.

·
2,872 Posts
It really doesn't matter... buy the biggest one that fits the hole and with the posts the right way around. 🍻

1 - 15 of 15 Posts