My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my father had Gravelys when I was a kid. I now have a chance to purchase a newer machine - model 14 professional, from about year 2000, walk behind with a mower deck. It starts and runs well, has 300 hours. It's a 14hp Subaru motor. The PTO attachment design is different than my father's old equipment.
So two questions if anyone can help: is it worth the $1750 asking price and is there a way to use the older attachments such as a rotary plow or sickle bar?
Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Since retiring, I wouldn’t pay that much for it, but some might. There really is nothing in comparison to a gravely walk behind tractor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.

Since retiring, I wouldn’t pay that much for it, but some might. There really is nothing in comparison to a gravely walk behind tractor.
Thanks for the input, Ultane! I agree, there's my question of "what is the market price for a machine like this?" and then there's a whole other question of "can I afford it!?". For now, I'm hoping folks on the forum can help me answer the first question. The answer to the second question depends on what kind of mood my wife is in when I ask!

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
+1 on price. It's all about what it's worth to the buyer. Gravelys are old enough and wierd enough that it's much more of a boutique/collector market than a commodity market, so the prices are all over the place.

I wouldn't pay that much for that machine, because I'm more of fan of the old stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody out there would love it at that price.

Re attachments: You should post pix so we can be sure what you have. That new a machine almost certainly has the new style QH mount, which doesn't fit the older 4 bolt attachments. I'm pretty sure you can remove the QH to get to the 4 bolt mount underneath, but that machine also should have a PTO brake, which would have to be changed to allow you to put on an old-style drive dog to mate up with the drive clutches on the old attachments. In other words, it's possible, but will take a bit of fiddling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 on price. It's all about what it's worth to the buyer. Gravelys are old enough and wierd enough that it's much more of a boutique/collector market than a commodity market, so the prices are all over the place.

I wouldn't pay that much for that machine, because I'm more of fan of the old stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody out there would love it at that price.

Re attachments: You should post pix so we can be sure what you have. That new a machine almost certainly has the new style QH mount, which doesn't fit the older 4 bolt attachments. I'm pretty sure you can remove the QH to get to the 4 bolt mount underneath, but that machine also should have a PTO brake, which would have to be changed to allow you to put on an old-style drive dog to mate up with the drive clutches on the old attachments. In other words, it's possible, but will take a bit of fiddling.
I appreciate the response, JRD. I hear your point, the fact is that the machine is probably useful enough to me to be worth the price, I can think of lots of times it would be put to use around our farm. But, I still have reservations about paying more than it would resale for. Hope to hear some other opinions on pricing.
If I end up buying the machine, or go back to look at it I'll definitely snap some pictures and share them. My dad's old attachments had what you've called the 4 bolt mount, but this Pro 14 looks different, as I've done some internet research I agree that it's probably a quick hitch style. And I came across an adapter although it was expensive.
Thanks again!

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,823 Posts
Nice tractor!

the quick hitch is nice, but there is an adapter box that will allow you to run the old 4-bolt attachments.

here’s a photo of the QH, and the adapter to the old style rotary tiller.
good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
One thing I would do or "I have learned the hard way to do" is see just what it will do B4 i gave anything for it unless your'e a bored retired mechanic who's just looking for a challenge or something like that.
Before I buy another one Im gonna make sure it runs like a hen in a thunder storm lol.
But from what I have learned from buying them is the market is pretty much what someone will take for it or what someone will give for it depending on the particulars of it.
Ive got one here Ive been messin with for over two yrs now and looks like it just came off the line but I cant get it to run and as soon as I get the 3-K unemployment owed to me that is supposed to be mailed friday its goin in the shop.
Its nothing major Im almost sure but Im tired of messin with it because of health issues mainly.
But I still love them and hope you have fun w/yours.
P.S., I saw one simular to what you described for almost $ 2,500 a few months ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello All, had a bit of a delay but I ended up working out a deal and bought the machine last night. I was only able to get the price down a couple hundred dollars, but I feel good about the purchase. Here's a quick picture with my son posing at the controls. As I get to using the tractor I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Thanks again to everyone for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts