My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
If I had $4500 to blow on old iron, that would be a good way to spend it. Fix them and flip them. I'd certainly have a lot of time to devote to it after my wife saw me bring them home and then threw me out of the house.
And it would be hard to hide that many at once.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
I'd buy them if I could get them home without making three trips! I wouldn't need to hide them, I'd just tell Lindey I was holding them for Don....
Time to get the goosneck trailer... tell her that's Don's too! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Fix and resell. That would be a heck of a flip. I've seen them first hand and the pictures make them look better than they are. These tractors were definitely used. A couple of decent decks were there as well. I did see some cobbling on a couple of them.
He has come down on the price some. When I inquired, he was looking for $700 apiece. I also inquired about a deck and he was not willing to separate one from it's tractor.
Hopefully, someone on here gets them, or even one.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Do the 18G's have power steering.It'd be a pretty good trip but I can haul them all at once.Anyone between NY and VA have an interest in a couple?

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Fix and resell. That would be a heck of a flip. I've seen them first hand and the pictures make them look better than they are. These tractors were definitely used. A couple of decent decks were there as well. I did see some cobbling on a couple of them.
He has come down on the price some. When I inquired, he was looking for $700 apiece. I also inquired about a deck and he was not willing to separate one from it's tractor.
Hopefully, someone on here gets them, or even one.
Do these machines run? Did you notice the hours on them?

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Do the 18G's have power steering.It'd be a pretty good trip but I can haul them all at once.Anyone between NY and VA have an interest in a couple?
No power steering, only the 24-Gs had that. (I don't even think the 35-G has power steering)

I would be interested. I can only haul 3 with my rig. Safely that is.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I did not notice the hours on them, but some could be considered runnable. A couple of the 18Gs had 20 horse replacement engines on them. They were also beat up pretty badly. Looks like the rear of the tractors saw some time in a demolition derby.
All in all, a decent deal for all of them. Out of the 8 there, 6 could be made runnable with parts from the other 2.
The body parts weren't too far gone. Holes were drilled through the hoods on a couple of the 18Gs for fuel cap access. The tires were so-so. Some were flat.
As the saying goes, it takes money to make money. For $4500 OBO, some tender loving care, and diligence, they could be made into some money makers. But the cost in time and the initial investment is too much for my time schedule/financial situation.
Hopefully, someone on here can give them the home they deserve. Right now they are sitting out in the elements.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK Everyone, I am the proud owner of this bunch of fairly well-worn 18G's (couple of 8179 KTs). In a moment of complete madness I bought this lot after setting fire to my trusty 812 (see my introductory post).

In my stupidity I did not even realize that all the 18G's had hour meters, I also did not realize they had moved the location to the side. In any case, the hours on these range from 400 (is that 10400?) to 4000 or so with several in the under 2000 range.

I'm not trying to restore these, just get them running and useable/functional and then sell for a price that takes into account freight, my risk in buying them, and some time. Maybe I'll get a tractor or two out of it. I certainly realize I'm going to sit on a bunch of this thru the winter.

My 812 was in sort of similar condition the past 15 years and still served me admirably, I don't see why these won't serve their future owners as well. And I do hope to repair the 812 eventually...

Status report: 1 attempt, 1 success - now cutting my 2+ acre grass. Reverse is stiff and doesn't lock maybe someone can help... 7 to go I'll report as I have news.

I need a good source of routine maint parts - oil/air filters, plugs, fuel filters, batteries - as well as the odd part that will surely crop up, including a couple shafts for the mower decks. I sure hope brakes are not needed $$$ yikes!

Any and all help, solicited or not, will be greatly appreciated. Even though I own both a working Model L and (formerly working) 812, the 18G and Kohler Magnums are yet another world to me. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
OK Everyone, I am the proud owner of this bunch of fairly well-worn 18G's
Welcome Roy!

Sorry to hear about your 812.

What part of MA are you from?

:wwp:

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
OK Everyone, I am the proud owner of this bunch of fairly well-worn 18G's (couple of 8179 KTs). In a moment of complete madness I bought this lot after setting fire to my trusty 812 (see my introductory post).

In my stupidity I did not even realize that all the 18G's had hour meters, I also did not realize they had moved the location to the side. In any case, the hours on these range from 400 (is that 10400?) to 4000 or so with several in the under 2000 range.

I'm not trying to restore these, just get them running and useable/functional and then sell for a price that takes into account freight, my risk in buying them, and some time. Maybe I'll get a tractor or two out of it. I certainly realize I'm going to sit on a bunch of this thru the winter.

My 812 was in sort of similar condition the past 15 years and still served me admirably, I don't see why these won't serve their future owners as well. And I do hope to repair the 812 eventually...

Status report: 1 attempt, 1 success - now cutting my 2+ acre grass. Reverse is stiff and doesn't lock maybe someone can help... 7 to go I'll report as I have news.

I need a good source of routine maint parts - oil/air filters, plugs, fuel filters, batteries - as well as the odd part that will surely crop up, including a couple shafts for the mower decks. I sure hope brakes are not needed $$$ yikes!

Any and all help, solicited or not, will be greatly appreciated. Even though I own both a working Model L and (formerly working) 812, the 18G and Kohler Magnums are yet another world to me. Thanks in advance!
:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: on the purchase and we're glad to have you!

I always check mowpart.com and homesteadmower.com for parts. The former site usually has Stens parts which can save you some $$.

Be shrewd about how you refurbish these machines and you will be able to turn a profit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
:thanku: for your responses -

Yep, I'm in Western Mass. between Springfield and Greenfield near Deerfield.

And I will post pix as time allows.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts