My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so I pulled the old Gravely outta the barn up the road. It's in pretty good shape body wise, but I've only had it in the Garage for about two hours, but in that time I've pulled the hood, carb, muffler and spark plug out.

The Serial Number (before I forget) is 00585791. It seems like a low #, but I don't know much about them. It says on the side of the hood "1238-G". It seems like a really well built machine. Has a 6 speed tranny (8 including reverse). A clutch which I like, and a really thick deck.

Can you guys give me some info about this thing? I'd like to find out what year this is. I'd say a later model, never heard anyone talk about this particular model before....maybe it's rare? Lol, either way, it's gonna be ran hard when it does get running.

Matt

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
1239-G has a Briggs 12hp i.c. engine originally,6 speed , foote transmission, 38" cutting deck they were built in 1988-1989

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. This is a 1238-G though

So are they good Machines? Were they made by Gravely, or some other company with Gravely badges? It has the original motor in it, I'm pretty well positive. It had plenty of mouse nests, though, lol. I don't know what exactly is wrong with it, but I've got about three or four spare engines sitting around I can get parts off of.

I'll try to get some pics of it tomorrow, Hopefully I can getting it running, but I'm being pretty optimistic.

Matt

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. This is a 1238-G though

So are they good Machines? Were they made by Gravely, or some other company with Gravely badges? It has the original motor in it, I'm pretty well positive. It had plenty of mouse nests, though, lol. I don't know what exactly is wrong with it, but I've got about three or four spare engines sitting around I can get parts off of.

I'll try to get some pics of it tomorrow, Hopefully I can getting it running, but I'm being pretty optimistic.

Matt
Rebadged units built by the other company in these threads. The 1238 was available as the - G with the gearbox or as a -H as a Hydro. They could be found with B&S engines or Kawasaki engines. 1991 was the last year the 123X series were made

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This one is a G with the 6 speed tranny. I bought a couple cans of carb cleaner and I'm gonna see what it'll do. I know right off the bat whenever I get it running after taking the deck off and cleaning and greasing her up I'm gonna have to get a set of tires. These are pretty dry rotted.

My father in law said that this thing has been around the farm for at least 10 years (his dad bought it). He said that when it was bought the original owner said that the carb was messed up. He says he's never heard it run, but hopefully I'll change that tomorrow.

The paint and everything is in really good shape. Hopefully everything else is. Do you guys know if these were equipped with a PTO or anything of that matter?

It looks like a great, heavy made tractor...I can't wait to give her a try....

Matt

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not just any engine will work on them.... The crank is speical...
What do you mean special? is there an odd length or width to it? do you happen to know what the dimentions of the crank are? Just in case It does need a transplant....

Matt

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sorry I thought I read 1238 in your original post , on the Gravely list I have there isnt a 1239 .

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I GOT IT RUNNING TODAY!!!

For about a minute...then the starter messed up on me.

I started this morning by taking the carb completly apart and giving it a good thorough cleaning...put it back together and after a couple cranks and letting the fuel get into the bowl it hit. Cranked it over again and it was purring like a kitten...until I gave it a little throttle and it died. Well I tried to get her going again and the starter just spun. I took the cover off and every tooth on the starter is chewed off. The flywheel is fine, it has steel teeth, but this one's shot.

Long story short I've got another one with a good gear on it, but I don't know how to take them apart. It looks like it's rivited on it. Do you guys happen to know how this is done...is their some kind of trick to it? If anyone knows please let me know! I'm dying to get this thing going and throwing some Grass!!!

Matt

Ps.By the way, thanks for the pic of the crank, do you happen to know the dimentions to it? This motor seems fine, but I'd like to know just in case. If I can't find the Warranty to the Husqvarna I know where a 23 horse V-twin Briggs is gonna go...:trink40:

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Just to let you know, your unit was built in 1986. Should have a tag on it saying Model 49140 also.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to let you know, your unit was built in 1986. Should have a tag on it saying Model 49140 also.
Where's this tag at? It says on the hood it's a 1238-G.

It's running like a new one now. I went out and got the parts for the starter today. New cog, retainer pin and metal cap (don't know what it's called) 4 bolts for the seat and a new fuel line for 25 bucks. Need to get a battery, but it purrs like a kitten. Not a bit of smoke, just humms right along.

Tranny's working great, goes through all the gears fine. I didn't have the seat on it and I was sitting on the back fender behind the battery. I popped it in 6th gear and about flipped off the back, lol.

The only problem now is getting the deck to work. I flipped the lever, but nothing happens. I think after sitting for about 10 years something's seized up....but no big deal, that's tomorrow's project.

I'll let you guys know how it goes and thanks everyone for all the replies.

Matt

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Where's this tag at? It says on the hood it's a 1238-G.

It's running like a new one now. I went out and got the parts for the starter today. New cog, retainer pin and metal cap (don't know what it's called) 4 bolts for the seat and a new fuel line for 25 bucks. Need to get a battery, but it purrs like a kitten. Not a bit of smoke, just humms right along.

Tranny's working great, goes through all the gears fine. I didn't have the seat on it and I was sitting on the back fender behind the battery. I popped it in 6th gear and about flipped off the back, lol.

The only problem now is getting the deck to work. I flipped the lever, but nothing happens. I think after sitting for about 10 years something's seized up....but no big deal, that's tomorrow's project.

I'll let you guys know how it goes and thanks everyone for all the replies.

Matt
Tag should be on the right side on the dash support or under the dash support on the frame. There were 3 series of 1238-G units and yours should be one of the early ones.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm just so exited it's running so good. Do you happen to know how the PTO lever works? I've gotta take the deck off tomorrow, but it's always easier with a little guidance to what your doing. The blades turn fine, but I think that something is seized up that engauges the PTO.

Again thanks everyone for all the info so far. I really appreciate the help.

Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts