My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, When I engage the Pto to start mowing the engine cuts off. The problem is intermittent and when it happens it will eventually run after cycling the lever several times. The pto and f/r interlocks look to be on a separate circuit from the seat safety. Thank You for any help!

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
Are you sure it's on a separate circuit? It's fairly common for the pto switch to used as part of the safety cutoff system (ie, you can get off the seat without killing the engine if the pto is off, but it kills the engine if the pto is on when you get up).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. You’re right. Thats how it works. But the wiring diagram shows the pto and f/r switches in series from S2 on the solenoid to ground. The seat switch goes from the same S2 terminal on and orange wire and then to 86 terminal on a relay. Can’t figure out how they work together. Think it’s the seat switch? Thank You again for your time. Rick

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
It kind of sounds like the pto switch could be going bad, given that working the switch a bit fixes the problem temporarily, but it's hard to say (as you could be moving in the seat a bit at the same time). Could also be a connector/wiring problem that moves a bit to fix the problem.

Perhaps someone with more specific knowledge about your Pro12 will be able to help you more with how the safety system works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You Sir. Im sure my neighbors get a chuckle me bouncing up and down on the seat. I’ll check both switches with vom. Thank You for your time

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
You mean a 12 G? I would put money on seat switch or time delay. It should die while running if you get up off the seat with pto engaged. Or if the forward or reverse is engaged. Seat switch will only matter in either situation. Also have been haveing fuel issues with my 12G lately. And is on my list to figure out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. The seat switch will kill the motor if I lift up with blades running. I’ll put a meter on it. Just can’t figure out how that ties together. Don’t know what a time delay is, but the problem only happens when starting up, maybe first couple minutes and then it runs perfect. Not sure what kind of fuel probLem you have, but mine starved. Replaced filter, pump and finally the hose which I think was collapsing. Thanks again. Rick

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
It goes to the relay under the hood and a little round sliver cylinder bit is the time delay. Gives like a 3 second delay on the kill wire when you come off the seat. New they were around 100 bucks last year or so. Im sure they went up. Mine runs for awhile not sure how long then dies. If you pull the choke on will recover briefly then die all together. I have 70 some other machines to mow with. So its on my list just not number one at the moment. I'll get to it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts