My Tractor Forum banner

Gravely Pro Noob

6K views 40 replies 7 participants last post by  jomoflymo 
#1 ·
Hi,

Greetings all, I just picked up my first Gravely. I think it is a pro 12. One plate on it gives me the model number I think of Model 41024 and the serial number is 00604712. Anything anyone could tell me would be great. It has sat for a while so I need to clean the carb I think. I am also looking for a 30" brush deck but I am confused about all the QH system or not and the adapter so I dont know what I really need to make that happen. I have seen a couple of old style brush decks out there but I dont know if they will hook up. Also my engine does not appear to have its ID plate anymore, I think its a K301 Kohler but looking at manuals for that engine my oil dipstick seems to be on the wrong side. Anyway here are a couple of pics, I appreciate all help given :

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a pull start pro 10 or 12. Theres a few different ways of a 30. 2 basic styles are quick hitch and non quick hitch.
Heres a new style no slip clutch for a quick hitch
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Asphalt

This is one of the 3 different 4 bolt versions of the 30 inch decks. To work on your quick hitch will need something called a retrofit kit. Actually one of those on the sickle bar in above pic
Wood Auto part Plant Wheel Metal

#4 ·
Your machine already has a quick hitch on it. On a pro series you can't remove the quick and bolt on the older stuff. It has a pto brake on it too

#6 ·
Yeah pretty much. The other ones will work with the kit. But the extra fuss with it. All depends on what you can find.
Heres a better pic
Vehicle

#8 ·
I can't. Its either a 10 hp or a 12hp kohler Magnum series . The shroud has been changed or primed atleast. And thats where the engine numbers would have been. From the looks of the pics the motor and hood has been switched. Different shade of faded red. Last pic is a quick hitch deck on my 5240 I posted

#9 ·
I don't think that's a K301. It's got the oil fill on the end of the oil pan.

#10 ·
Yeah thats what I thought. Also on almost all K301's that i have seen the dipstick is on the same side as the air filter and this one is not. I am not sure if thats because its a pull start and not electric ? I think most pics I have seen are for electric start ones

#12 ·
Yes thats a quick hitch deck. Make sure you get the splined coupler that goes from brush hog to quick hitch. As its a pricey item new im told.

You'll have to wait for some of the guys with pros to see about the dip stick locations. My newest is my 5240

#14 ·
Thats a spare half of the drive shaft for the deck on it now. Its a female splined piece may 3 or 4 inches long hooks from quick hitch to deck spline. With out its more less a paper weight yes. I don't have a pic handy of one

#18 ·
So i have a pro 12 with the 40 inch mower deck on the front and also bought the 30 inch brush hog as well. I was told all I needed to connect was the splined connector which I bought however I think I have an issue. Whe I took off the QH the dog and trunnion full out. I think I got them back in right :

However as you can see there is a splined hole where this from the QH goes in :

I think I need to get that middle splined rod out of the QH so that I can use it to connect from dog to this hole in the 30 inch :

How do I do that ? Am I doing the right thing ?

Thanks very much

#20 ·
No you leave the quick hitch on the machine! Brush hog bolts to the front of it! The splined bits line up to the quick hitch shaft

Vehicle Agricultural machinery Tractor Lawn Grass

#22 ·
Pull the collar toward the ujoint. Its spring loaded. If it not rusted will slide off while pulling on the collar

#23 ·
The knurled ring pulls back against the spring. Then the u-joint assembly slides off the spline.

If you've got a lot of dirt/rust in there, it may not want to slide off. You might have to rig some kind of clamp to hold the ring while you work the assembly off of there.

[Oops, dupe. Didn't see Steve's and can't figure out how to delete]

#25 ·
Just a heads up the bushhog deck comes in a long and short shaft model you have the short. I had to add weight to the front of the deck to get it to balance right if not a pro 12 is engine heavy and wants to pull the deck off the ground.
Lawn Vehicle Grass Mower Lawn mower

#27 ·
Probably around 45 lb they are counter weight from a medical machine and hard to come by gravely made their own weight at one time they were 30 lb I think. But are collectable and as such expensive. I have barbell weights on my snow blade.

#29 ·
Total and that is just a guess . I had them laying in the garage so that is what I used as I said the weights gravely sold are said to be 30 lbs last pair I saw on Ebay they were $200 . I have 300-400 lbs of lead so that is what I used .
That is my first newer Gravely . I have always had L series before. I was actually gifted this tractor with a snow blade. Only thing it needed was a battery. I have spent many hours mowing with the old style 40 inch commercial deck the 40 in "kidney deck" you have is far better . I have bought a finish mower deck like you have and a bushhog deck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.