My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance at one of these walk behind models with a 50 inch deck. Kawasaki 14 hp engine. It started second pull, no smoke .
All Belt driven and with the Rear assist gear.
Has anyone had one?
What are your thoughts ?
And what is a fair price to offer this ??

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
285 Posts
They're not really classic gravely-designed machines. If you want a WB mower like that, I'd recommend going with a Scag, Exmark or Ransomes Bobcat. Much more common and parts more readily available and cheaper. The FC420v is a good engine; powerful and lasts a long time.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
The deck on it should be one of the good old 50" decks. They aren't hard to work on and you can get replacement gearboxes fairly cheap. Be sure to check the safety system on it. Failure of the safety switches on the tranny is about the most common problem with them. We just had one in the shop this week for work. It would start in gear. Not a good thing. Adjusted the lever to spec and replaced the switch. Everything worked fine and to spec after that. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy is asking 460$ ? I have been Gravely for quite a while now , so I am assuming this is not what the quality of older model engineering ?
I have heard that the Kawasaki Engines are solid.

Is that a reasonable price?

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
The guy is asking 460$ ? I have been Gravely for quite a while now , so I am assuming this is not what the quality of older model engineering ?
I have heard that the Kawasaki Engines are solid.

Is that a reasonable price?
New they were around $3000 to $3200 so you can base it from there.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hours and condition are the big considerations. What is the condition of the belts that take the power from the transmission to the wheels? Those are expensive. Did gravely use one double-width belt or two individual belts for each side?

·
Registered
285 Posts
To answer your question more directly, for that price it should be in good usable condition and not need much work. Make sure all the belts are ok and not frayed. Check the spindles for play.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hours and condition are the big considerations. What is the condition of the belts that take the power from the transmission to the wheels? Those are expensive. Did gravely use one double-width belt or two individual belts for each side?
They used the two individual belts on this model. The belts looked good, and he replaced them with the Kevlar belts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also ...no hour meter so it is a guess. The mower looks very solid. Started on 2nd pull .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts