My Tractor Forum banner

301 - 320 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks great, and it has the big black knobs on it like one of the ones I used to use. So is that a Kohler engine?
Yes, K181T. Starts on first pull. Needs some cleaning and oil seepage checking. Forty years old and runs well. Not overly used, it might have sit still for a couple years at a time.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Yes, K181T. Starts on first pull. Needs some cleaning and oil seepage checking. Forty years old and runs well. Not overly used, it might have sit still for a couple years at a time.
Sitting still for yrs. is a killer especially for auto's but Ive noticed since getting my Gravely and being on here and watching 'working on Gravely' type video's on line these tanks can sit for decades and with just a few basic procedures they can be brought back to life again. I think the gas sitting for a long time is the worst thing about it. Its so nice to work on something that you can actually get to what needs to be fixed or worked on. In some cases just getting to the part that needs replaced or fixed is harder than fixing/replacing the part itself on autos.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Photo Thread huh? Well everyone always wants me to post pics so here it goes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Here's some more I had to take for reassembly, some of them are a mess w/paint and crap hanging off of them. These pics are how it was when I first got it home.

Attachments

·
4K Poster and climbing!!!
4,155 Posts
Well. You're looking quite organized there Gerrard. Way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Thanks Tractortag and CanaryAl, Now all I gotta do is get the stuff on the tractor, mostly dress-up stuff that I prolly coulda did without but as should be obvious by now I dont have time to do hardly anything to it at least till spring really gets here and stays, none of this 65 deg. one day and 25 deg the next.
And about the shiney carb thats just from being bored and having a Dremmel tool. lol.
Of course I needed a new plug and wire as can be seen in pics, that old wire looks almost melted. Plus oil filter and a pull-strap that I didnt realize they even made because all we ever had was a piece of rope w/a knot tied in it that caught in the cut out in the pulley. I dont even remember the pin-looking strap-ring catch on pulley. Maybe because the two I mostly used did have a starter on them but one was never working so I had to use the rope-n-knot and cut out in pulley.
But come to think of it I do need a lot of that stuff like entire exhaust set-up because mine was shot, new belt cant hurt either & mine had red paint all over it, needed fan bearings "I guess" but certainly needed the new shaft. Needed sheet metal , had to inspect underside of head wich requires new gasket of course , new carb kit.
So other than some handle bar cable holders and new cables wich I probably needed and handles its pretty much about all needed. And the stuff is so nice and so fairly priced I couldnt pass it up. And that new exhaust flange and screws really look nice. I just hope they preform as good as they look.

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
884 Posts
My 2016 earth moving crew. Wheelbarrow, '50 Gravely L w/utility scoop, '54 Gravely L w/48" dozer blade, '04 JD GT245 w/60" Worksaver landscape rake.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
My 2016 earth moving crew. Wheelbarrow, '50 Gravely L w/utility scoop, '54 Gravely L w/48" dozer blade, '04 JD GT245 w/60" Worksaver landscape rake.
54' model huh? WOW ! That thing looks great. So the kind with the flat hood is older than my 66' model, I always wondered about that. I dont seem to see (in pics of course) a lot of them that have my kind of hood, they are usually like yours on the 54' or the ones that drop-down like on a L-8 (I think).
Funny thing happened just a week ago concerning John Deere, I went in to a local Goodwill store and donated like three bags of clothes that belonged to my late Father and Brother that had never been worn and still had tags on them and as soon as I walked in hanging on a rack was a new John Deere shirt, it was the kind I see at TSC all of the time as in long sleeve and green w/a tractor on it and it was $4.99 so I bought it. I figure its normally a $15 or $18 shirt. It says " John Deere 9630 Quality Tractors &Power to the farmer" lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Greg,

Nice looking pair. I like the utter mechanical simplicity look of the C8. What a working tractor ought to look like. Are you using Gravely dual wheel spacers or something home made, I can't quite tell from the picture? And what size tires are those (on the C8)?

Shel

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks Gerrard!

Shel, the wheel spacers are Gravely. I'm not so mechanically inclined to make my own. The tires are the standard size...4.8/4x8 (I think those are the correct numbers).

Right now, the C8 is the workhorse and the 8163-T is the princess (i.e. not seeing much use). I am hoping to change that next year!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Greg for the info. Thought that might be the case just wasn't sure. "..the 8163-T is the princess.." I like that, made me chuckle.:tango_face_smile:

Shel

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
884 Posts
A friend who is downsizing gave me this 1984 limited edition belt buckle. It has a serial number and brief inscription about Gravely history on the back. It will be a treasured item for wearing at special occasions like the Mow-In.

Attachments

301 - 320 of 336 Posts