·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
> I have a 1966 c10 with a 42 inch mower deck-- I need to replace the
> differential gear that is located at the top of the mower deck. It is cotter
> pinned to the shaft that runs vertically down to the belt pulley. I could
> also use the horizontal gear that drives this gear.
>
> Please call or email if you know where I can get these parts,thank you
>
> David Laubscher
> 1388 N. Hayland DR.
> Jasper,In. 47546
>
> [email protected]
>
> home 812-827-3104
> cel 812-827-3104

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
The best source of parts that I know of is Richard's Lawn and Garden in Spencer, WV.

http://www.gravelyparts.com/

Those gear boxes come across ebay from time to time. Of course, you don't really know what you are getting with those though.

·
Banned
131 Posts
You put some technical snafus into that inquiry, making it difficult to decipher, but I'll give it a whack. First, I'd expect original 1966 vintage c10 mowers to be what Gravely referred to as either 30" or 40" decks. I presume you don't have either of the later Quick Hitch design 40" decks. My guess is your 40" deck is a model MA-600 & has 'Model-106' cast into the side of the gearbox? This is the rectangular, heavy duty, mower w/big pipe plug at top of gearbox.

Second a "differential gear" would be found in the transmission's final drive. These Gravely mower gearboxes have bevel gears.

Third, according to Gravely's 40" manual, neither bevel gear "is cotter pinned to the shaft". A cotter pin is used only in the nut on the rotor shaft, while the bevel gear below it slips onto a splined section of the shaft. The bevel gears should be the same as in a 30" deck w/Model-106 gearbox.

I have a spare Model-106 drive unit I'd sell, or consider parting out if the price were right. PM if interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, your right it is a 40 inch deck with bevel gears.The gear at the top of the mower deck is splined and above it was a nut with a cotter pin. How much were you wanting for both bevel gears.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Is the vertical shaft still straight?

If so, what would you want for it?

·
Banned
131 Posts
Will have to confirm application & condition. When I said "should be the same" I tried to leave room for the possibility 30" & 40" drives might have differences & am not sure which deck my spare drive came from. Will need some more research, unless anyone can positively confirm they're interchangeable? Richard's noted of the 40" that "most drive parts are the same as 30" but didn't ID which are not.

A very old Richard's L&G listed 30" gears at $145 & the vertical shaft at $94. Want to make offers to encourage me to dismantle this unit? Will inspect & research in meantime & get back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure I want to spend that much since gavely is my back up mower & full time tiller which I can still use. I'll think on it.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
David - these parts are sold frequently enough on E-Bay and other Gravely sites. They sell for far less than dealer price listings. Keep your eyes peeled and a set of gears will come along - sounds like you have time to wait.

·
Banned
131 Posts
I merely referred to prices out of a supplier's old catalog, who's very frequently recommended here on MTF. I did not set an asking price, I invited you to "make an offer".

not sure I want to spend that much
If you find these bevel gears on eBay's auction you'll need to decide your highest bid & take your chances. If you're serious about acquiring these GRAVELY parts you'll need to decide how "much" you "want to spend" regardless of the source. I was going on the assumption you were "sure" that you needed the gears & volunteered to help. How I wish my local GRAVELY dealer would just once ask me to "make an offer".

An old Rule of Thumb was used parts sell for 1/2 the cost of new. Unfortunately the obscene price of new parts & the difficulty factor finding obsolete parts can upset that tradition. Wonder what GRAVELY charges for these gears, presuming they're still available?

·
Banned
131 Posts
Here's a Heads Up. Called the local GRAVELY dealer, I've used since '76/same family, inquiring about another matter & asked about these bevel gears. Learned that nobody has been willing to pay Ariens high price & the last time he'd looked "the gear set was about $300"! He was confident they're still available & the price hadn't come down.

However he also warned me about low cost aftermarket gears. The original gears are extremely strong & durable forged steel. The cheap copies are sintered, that is, powdered iron rammed in a mold & fired. Apparently they're nowhere nearly as strong or durable as the originals. Sad part is some retailers try to pass them off as counterfeits & it takes microscopic inspection to ID the copies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts