1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Richard-Tx "I Think"

That is the one.

Here it is again.

Lets put this one in the sticky sections.

Here is my summary of features of each. I am doing all this from memory and some of this may be wrong so please correct as needed.

L, L8, Super Convertible - Gravely powered. No charging system. Customer has to purchase battery charger. Remote PTO linkage design minimalist. Electrostatic enamel used at factory. Kill switch mounted at end of handlebar on later models (SC). Governor optional on some models. Electric start optional on some models.

C8, C10,C12- End of Gravely 2400 rpm engine. Kohler 3600 rpm (3600 RPM is universal) engine used with belt driven motor/generator on C10. New design of controls, hood, etc.. Remote PTO linkage improved. Sometimes painted yellow. Planetary now equipped with 2 sets of gears to handle 3600 RPM engines and maintain PTO speed. End of roller rest support. Separate push button starter switch.

C10A - Alternator with separate starter motor. Cast iron hitch. Separate push button starter switch dropped. PTO shipper shaft mechanism improved - FINALLY!

C12 - 12 hp version of C10A

500 - 8. 10, and 12hp engine options. Tapered axles. Same controls as C10A. Fabricated hitch. Pull start still relatively popular. Swiftamatic design change.

5000 - 8, 10 and 12 hp engine options. A handful of 16hp single cylinder models made. Controls mostly unchanged. Splined axles. 4 bolt wheels/hubs an option. Flimsy battery box in early models are prone to cracking. Late versions use much improved Pro style battery box. QH (Quick Hitch) available and is standard on some models. Axle bearings changed from roller bearings to ball bearings. Available with steering brakes as a factory installed option. Swiftamatic design improved.

Pro series - 8, 10, 12, 16 hp Kohler single, and 16hp Briggs twin cylinder engines available. All controls reworked and improved. Round handlebars replaced with angle iron with slight decrease in strength. Safety switches added. Smaller gas tank than previous series. PTO brake added requiring new design of advance casting. 4 bolt wheels/hubs an option. QH standard. Non-QH designed attachments (old style) require adapter kit. Pull start models fairly rare. Available with steering brakes as a factory installed option. Throttle moved to front panel on some models.

Personal notes:
The Pro series is the best of the 2 wheel tractors.
All of the previous foibles fixed (all that could be fixed).
16 hp Briggs twin version highly desired.
The OP switches take a little getting used to and might be considered the addition of a foible. Gravely had no choice in the matter. Either the switches got added or they had to stop making tractors.

The 5665 is the best of the 5000 series.
There are reports that the Pro series handlebars bend. I can't bend them and I have tried. I have no idea who is operating those tractors. Maybe a Silverback Gorilla.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,731 Posts
Re: Richard-Tx "I Think"

That is the one.

Here it is again.

Lets put this one in the sticky sections.

Here is my summary of features of each. I am doing all this from memory and some of this may be wrong so please correct as needed.

L, L8, Super Convertible - Gravely powered. No charging system. Customer has to purchase battery charger. Remote PTO linkage design minimalist. Electrostatic enamel used at factory. Kill switch mounted at end of handlebar on later models (SC). Governor optional on some models. Electric start optional on some models.

C8, C10,C12- End of Gravely 2400 rpm engine. Kohler 3600 rpm (3600 RPM is universal) engine used with belt driven motor/generator on C10. New design of controls, hood, etc.. Remote PTO linkage improved. Sometimes painted yellow. Planetary now equipped with 2 sets of gears to handle 3600 RPM engines and maintain PTO speed. End of roller rest support. Separate push button starter switch.

C10A - Alternator with separate starter motor. Cast iron hitch. Separate push button starter switch dropped. PTO shipper shaft mechanism improved - FINALLY!

C12 - 12 hp version of C10A

500 - 8. 10, and 12hp engine options. Tapered axles. Same controls as C10A. Fabricated hitch. Pull start still relatively popular. Swiftamatic design change.

5000 - 8, 10 and 12 hp engine options. A handful of 16hp single cylinder models made. Controls mostly unchanged. Splined axles. 4 bolt wheels/hubs an option. Flimsy battery box in early models are prone to cracking. Late versions use much improved Pro style battery box. QH (Quick Hitch) available and is standard on some models. Axle bearings changed from roller bearings to ball bearings. Available with steering brakes as a factory installed option. Swiftamatic design improved.

Pro series - 8, 10, 12, 16 hp Kohler single, and 16hp Briggs twin cylinder engines available. All controls reworked and improved. Round handlebars replaced with angle iron with slight decrease in strength. Safety switches added. Smaller gas tank than previous series. PTO brake added requiring new design of advance casting. 4 bolt wheels/hubs an option. QH standard. Non-QH designed attachments (old style) require adapter kit. Pull start models fairly rare. Available with steering brakes as a factory installed option. Throttle moved to front panel on some models.

Personal notes:
The Pro series is the best of the 2 wheel tractors.
All of the previous foibles fixed (all that could be fixed).
16 hp Briggs twin version highly desired.
The OP switches take a little getting used to and might be considered the addition of a foible. Gravely had no choice in the matter. Either the switches got added or they had to stop making tractors.

The 5665 is the best of the 5000 series.
There are reports that the Pro series handlebars bend. I can't bend them and I have tried. I have no idea who is operating those tractors. Maybe a Silverback Gorilla.
Frame made of angle iron cracks on the Pros always at the bolt holes just in front of the dash.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.