My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how important is it to run the original Zenith updraft carb?
I understand that many people make the effort to remain as original as possible, but is it necessary?
There appear to be many off-brand updraft carbs out there that would do the job.
Thank you for your input.
Jeff

·
Registered
136 Posts
I understand what you are saying but, which ever off spec carb you try to use has to have the throttle and choke levers in the right orientation so everything will connect correctly. I have looked at the new offshore Ford 8N carbs that are on e-bay for cheap money and it may be possible to use one of these if you can get the cable levers hooked up right. It also depends on whether the carb is a forward facing or rear facing model. I don't know what the venturi size is on these (8N) but as long as it is 18mm or under the carb should run the engine OK and not be oversize for the displacement (the L engine is about 29cid or just under 480cc). Order one and try it, just let all of us know how it works.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Not important at all to run the Zeniths just for running the Zeniths sake. It's just usually the easiest option. If you can make a carb from a different application work with the throttle and choke cables' travel, and get the fuel mixture right then I don't see why not. In fact I think it would be neat. Experimenting with things like that is half the fun. Well, maybe not half, but some of it.

·
Daryl G
875 Posts
Add me to the list of those interested in another carburetor to replace the Zeniths! I have took a cursory look at other carburetors as these old units, as simple as they are in design, can cause much headache. 95% of my problems have been either carburetor or magneto related... I guess those two items constitute a big part of these machines. The magnetos can easily be exchanged for a unit from another manufacturer but the carburetor is another yet 'untamed' animal! Certainly, there has to be another unit that can work???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts