My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FIX IT MAN
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. guys, I'll try again. What do you think this model in excellent condition, it was purchased new by the owner in 2000 but it could be a 1998 model, 60 inch mowing deck, 20.5 H.P. Robin engine with 350 hours on the clock. It's a well maintained machine, no rust, and so far only used only for mowing- no winter use.I've got no pics of it but I would like some of your opinions on what's a reasonble asking price for a tractor like this should be.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, since no one else has chimed in, I'll give this thread a bump.

I'm quite new to Gravelys, but did a good bit of research before buying the one I have now. I've gone over the mechanicals pretty well on mine so that I now feel completely comfortable servicing it.

It appears the 987072 is similar to the 800/8000 series tractor, with some minor updates. So it seems like it would be a heck of a good machine.

As for an asking price... that's a hard one. Depends on a lot of factors.

For reference, I just bought my 8120 for $1100 (asking price was $1200). (I'm not sure of the year -- likely early 80s) It has a rebuilt Kohler 301 motor, came with a 50" deck, a 38" snowblower, and a plow. It is in very good/excellent mechanical condition, and good/very good asthetic condition. I feel like a got a steal of a deal on it. One of the reasons is that it was located in a very remote part of Maine, so the demand was reduced by the number of people in close enough proximity to consider looking at it and trailering it home. I live outside Portland. I bet if I re-listed right now where I live, I could make money on the sale.

You're talking about a much newer machine than mine. Because of the rugged build of these tractors though, age is of little concern to me, but most people will pay a premium for a newer rig with fewer hours. It has the big deck and the big motor -- that's a plus, but I know nothing about the Robin motor. It has no snowblower -- which would be a nice attachment to have in upstate NY. (BTW, I grew up in the Adirondacks.) the snowblowers on these (at least on the older ones) are like nothing I've ever seen before. They are built like the ones used to clear airport runways. In comparison, a John Deere snowblower attachment looks like a toy.

I would feel very comfortable paying $2000 for that tractor if it's in excellent condition. I'd even go to $2500 -- but don't tell the seller I said that! ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Since I'm not a big 4-wheel tractor guy (I have one - OLD one), I can't offer a very valid value estimate. But what I can say is that the Robin engines have a very good reputation; the parent company is Subaru (I believe) and they're used in many industrial applications with great success. I also believe that the Robins are fully pressurized motors, receiving better lubrication consistency than the Kohlers that were used. 350 hours on an engine is nothing - hardly even broken in. It sounds like a very nice tractor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought, from a lawn equipment dealer, a used 1996 20G w/60" center mount mower deck, 48" snow blower with all of the front PTO components in 08-2007 for $4500. Looked great in the photos and in person but:

The tractor was advertised as showing 750 hours on the hour meter but the meter does not work.

The engine decal did not have any information such as the engine serial number, model number, etc on it

The front tires were very worn on the outer edges due to incorrect alignment.

Check it very well before you buy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts