My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any news on the Gravely manual site? I have tried off and on for the past year to get on to that site, and it always times out, I never get in. I think once I made it to the front page but never been able to go on into and download a manual. I have used that site many times to help myself, and others in this forum for reference material. I hope we don't lose it.

If you have any tricks on getting in, I would appreciate it. Like I said, it seems the site still exists, but it sits there and tries to load for a minute or so and then gives up. I am using Firefox, maybe another browser would work better?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Does anyone have any news on the Gravely manual site? I have tried off and on for the past year to get on to that site, and it always times out, I never get in. I think once I made it to the front page but never been able to go on into and download a manual. I have used that site many times to help myself, and others in this forum for reference material. I hope we don't lose it.

If you have any tricks on getting in, I would appreciate it. Like I said, it seems the site still exists, but it sits there and tries to load for a minute or so and then gives up. I am using Firefox, maybe another browser would work better?
Try resetting Firefox: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/reset-firefox-howto,news-18817.html

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
Working fine for me.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't feel like fouling up my browser yet for this problem. I just tried microsoft edge browser, same thing, only it doesn't try as hard as Firefox does. Firefox tries for at least 30 seconds, edge only tries for about 10 seconds.

Now that I think about it more, I wonder if there are ads on that site? I have a add-blocker in my browser as a add-on. I also have a flash player block.

·
Gravely1964
3,837 Posts
I don't feel like fouling up my browser yet for this problem. I just tried microsoft edge browser, same thing, only it doesn't try as hard as Firefox does. Firefox tries for at least 30 seconds, edge only tries for about 10 seconds.

Now that I think about it more, I wonder if there are ads on that site? I have a add-blocker in my browser as a add-on. I also have a flash player block.
I think its something on your end. What not sure not real computer guy.

This link work for ya? Im on windows 7 and google chrome. Firefox also loaded fine.

https://www.gravelymanuals.com/docs/index.html

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think its something on your end. What not sure not real computer guy.

This link work for ya? Im on windows 7 and google chrome. Firefox also loaded fine.

https://www.gravelymanuals.com/docs/index.html
Same thing, just sits there and then says it is having trouble getting to that site. It must be a problem on my end somewhere, since you guys can get in ok. I might try it at work and see if it works ok there. Thanks for the help.

·
Daryl G
857 Posts
franklin2,
I sporadically have experienced the same issue you are describing... one day it would open quickly while the next day nothing would open??? I never have been able to figure out what was causing this intermittent and frustrating issue! Others have reported a similar difficulty in opening files from that site - once before I sent an individual that could not open a file from the gravelymanuals.com site a link to just a single file from that site and it opened perfectly for him - try this just to see if you can open up one too:

https://www.gravelymanuals.com/pdf/Convertible_76_Serv_Man_1174.pdf (it is just the service manual for a 1974 model L).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
franklin2,
I sporadically have experienced the same issue you are describing... one day it would open quickly while the next day nothing would open??? I never have been able to figure out what was causing this intermittent and frustrating issue! Others have reported a similar difficulty in opening files from that site - once before I sent an individual that could not open a file from the gravelymanuals.com site a link to just a single file from that site and it opened perfectly for him - try this just to see if you can open up one too:

https://www.gravelymanuals.com/pdf/Convertible_76_Serv_Man_1174.pdf (it is just the service manual for a 1974 model L).
That didn't work either. Strange I can go anywhere I want except that particular site. I will have to try plan B.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Are you getting any messages about the sites not being secure?

That may be the problem, your browser may be blocking them, or timing out trying to get a security cert that simply does not exist.

I had a some problem a while back with these two sites regarding this. once I understood it, I simple over rode the security block for those sites and everything is fine.

I have never used firefox, so I have no idea how all that works with that browser. Happy Chrome user here.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Here is the message;

The connection has timed out

The server at GravelyManuals.com - OldGravelys.info: : is taking too long to respond.

The connection has timed out

The server at www.gtcoa.com is taking too long to respond.
And when I click on the links right here in your post, my browser go to those sites with lightning speed?

I'm not really much of a computer expert, but it sure sounds like a problem/setting in Firefox, which again, I have no experience with.

Hopefully Richard, who maintains the Gravely Manuals site, will see this thread and offer some help.

Sheldon

·
Registered
495 Posts
Resetting a web browser to default is a good step to regaining control of internet access. IE, Firefox, and Chrome each have specific steps for this. I still recommend this step. It will clear out the cache, remove possible harmful temporary internet files, and forget your online passwords (they are all written down, right?). (As a side note, never let your browser or PC "remember" your passwords for very real security reasons. I've had many customers allow remote access to their machines and all secure sites were easily accessed by the remote entity.)

Almost all security apps like Avast, AVG, McAfee, Norton, etc. etc. have a suite of features and a component of that suite is a firewall. I have found that the app firewall can be troublesome in administering. I usually disable the app firewall and use the built-in Windows firewall (that has been incorporated in all Windows OS).

You should look more closely at the firewall settings. You may have to disable the app firewall and even reset to default the built-in Win firewall to get access to the sites you are having trouble reaching.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I reset Firefox. That got rid of my add-ons and reset the complete browser. It still doesn't work. GTCOA still doesn't work either.

What is interesting, I got my wife to try to get to both sites on her Kindle Fire 7. She can't get to them either, both time out. Think I need to call my internet provider?

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
Yeah it could be them, or who their provider is (and so on). It's possibly a routing problem, or even a caching problem somewhere between you those sites...

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Do you have a smart phone? Try it from the browser there. If you have WIFI in your house, turn that off on the phone first.

That will access the site through the cell network, completely bypassing your ISP for your home service. If it works on the phone, that's a pretty good indicator that it's something about the path from your computer through your ISP to the rest of the network. That will be useful information if you end up calling their tech support.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts