My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 1964 gravely L8 super convertible and have a few questions.

1. The dip stick that is in the center is for engine oil?
  2. The cap at the front of the tractor that says oil is for gear oil?
  3. Does the third lever lock?
Also if anyone could provide pictures of how the governor attaches to the carburetor that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
On the L series there's a single oil system. It serves both engine and transmission. The dipstick (on later models) is next to the air filter. The cap fills it.

I assume by "the third lever" you mean the axle shifter, hanging under the right handlebar. It doesn't lock, in the sense of having a mechanical interlock. Part of the linkage is spring loaded, causing it to stick at either end of its travel.

Re governor, see recent thread Model L Governor - Installation help needed That has good info. See also the manuals on gravelymanuals.com. There's a copy of the installation manual for the governor.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
So I fill engine oil here?
You fill the entire machine, which includes the engine, there.

2.5 qts capacity. Maybe a little more if you changed the filter at the same time.

Have you read the manual? Please go look at gravelymanuals.com. There's a wealth of good info there, including owners manuals. They cover all this stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts