My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i started into searching for piston rings for the gravely l's as i may need to replace mine. i know richards and gtgravely has them but i wanted to see what my options were. so far here's what i found while searching through cross reference pages from manufacturers (please note all the information below has not been tested)

The direct replacement from hastings is part number 2c7336
Mahles direct replacement is s40061
Grants direct replacement is p0357

the following are the crossed referenced part numbers
Hastings 2c7785
Sealed Power 5648kx
Mahle 540091
Mahle 541372

one of the websites i was on noted that the onan j30 and lk use the same ring sets, the site also mentioned kohler shared the same but did not list the models

i wasnt sure if this should be added on the cross referrence list as i cant confirm all of them work. i just wanted to share my research in the case it helps someone

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Surfincr,

It's great to have alternate sources for Gravely parts, but what size piston were those rings for, do they have oversize rings such as .010, .020, .030? Do they have half sizes such a .015 over?

What is the material of the top compression ring?

Can we end gap these rings to Gravely specs?

Tell us more, Roger

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surfincr,

It's great to have alternate sources for Gravely parts, but what size piston were those rings for, do they have oversize rings such as .010, .020, .030? Do they have half sizes such a .015 over?

What is the material of the top compression ring?

Can we end gap these rings to Gravely specs?

Tell us more, Roger
On the sites i searching after to find prices i did find they had them in the oversizes up to (if memory serves correct) .025 over

i did not see the material on the sites unfortunately

unfortunately not sure on the gapping ether.

for the most part i was going to take my chances and order a set in to test them out if i wind up needing them. the engine i am currently building doesnt look like it will need the rings as they appear to be tight but if i rebuild the other engine i may test a set.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Surfincr, Have you made any further progress on the search for pistons and rings for a Model L Gravely Tractor?
I have some old information that says the pistons are from a flat head Plymouth six engine, 1940s and 1950s. They have too short of a compression length by about 1/4inch. Compression length is center of pin to top of piston. See the Studebaker Commando flat head 6 pistons may fit but you would have to bore 0.065 over to fit a standard Studebaker Commando piston. Surely Gravely did not have a unique Gravely piston specification. They would most likely have used a piston commonly used for source and price reasons. I can give the specification, measurements, on the piston used but I can not find a manufacturer who take the time or even have the data base ability to search for a match.
What else have you got?
David

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
...just fyi, this is a 7 year old thread, and Surfincr hasn't logged into the site in almost a year...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts