My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pierce Mod# MA 1884 R3. How does the belt pulley come off the shaft? I can't see a roll pin in the hub. Is it threaded or pressed on?I need to replace the seal and bushings. I have looked at the Old Gravely Manuals diagram and it shows a roll pin. Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Some have pins and some are just press fit. Depends.
Good luck finding the bearings and seals. The pulley end seal is very small and quite flimsy. The bearing on the pulley end is usually a small ball bearing and the other end is a brass bushing. I did not have very good luck finding a ball bearing that would match the existing bearing, but you guys are in the machine shop business and may be able to access more venders than I.
What ever you do, try to save the governor if possible. They are no longer made and while there are a lot of small similar units around, the Gravely units are really pretty special.

I bought 2 replacement NOS governors for little gas military engines cheap, but they are designed to bolt into the crankcase of the engine and do not have a sealed drive end. In fact, they are designed to be pressure lubed through the bushing end and have the oil splash lube the weights and drain back through the face of the drive end. If I could come up with a way to seal the drive end and mount a pulley instead of a gear they would make great replacements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bet somebody in Upland, IN where Pierce Governors were made has parts squirreled away. They were in business until about 20years ago, I think.
In addition to other recommendations, you can also try GT Parts, 850-627-2185. They have some parts nobody else has. BTW, most all the Gov pulleys press off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I tried pressing the shaft but it looks as though it crushed the front part of the pulley so I stopped to re-study. I think I will add some heat sparingly since the seal and the bearing is shot. I will try the contacts all of you gave. Thanks. I might have to come up with my own version (rather not) of repair if we can't find parts. These are unique units in simplicity and I will try fixing it before it gets trashed. A lot of them were neglected and abused. I will let you know what happens. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
I've found crosses for that bearing at vxb.com, by searching for matching dimensions. I can't find them now to be sure, but I think it's R6 Open Bearing 3/8''x7/8''x7/32'' Miniature inch

The seals I've found similarly from rockauto.com

The pulleys can be a problem. I've destroyed a couple of them getting them off. In one case I had an extra from another governor, in another case I turned one out of aluminum, and put a setscrew in it so I wouldn't have that problem again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've found crosses for that bearing at vxb.com, by searching for matching dimensions. I can't find them now to be sure, but I think it's R6 Open Bearing 3/8''x7/8''x7/32'' Miniature inch

The seals I've found similarly from rockauto.com

The pulleys can be a problem. I've destroyed a couple of them getting them off. In one case I had an extra from another governor, in another case I turned one out of aluminum, and put a setscrew in it so I wouldn't have that problem again.
Thanks jrd, We do have some R6's in stock. I have some time this morning to work on that pulley. I may have to make a pulley as you did if this one doesn't cooperate.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I also ruined my pulley awhile back and I had access to a machine shop and made my own replacement out of aluminum also.

After all that, I could never find the proper seal. So I filled the governor not will oil, but lubriplate motor assembly lube. The stuff in the picture below. It has been working great with no leaks. This has been over 10 years ago.

P.S. I think someone on here mentioned tractor supply may sell a lube that is similiar that is for hay balers. I haven't scoped that out yet to see what it's like. The lube above is about like soft butter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also ruined my pulley awhile back and I had access to a machine shop and made my own replacement out of aluminum also.

After all that, I could never find the proper seal. So I filled the governor not will oil, but lubriplate motor assembly lube. The stuff in the picture below. It has been working great with no leaks. This has been over 10 years ago.

P.S. I think someone on here mentioned tractor supply may sell a lube that is similiar that is for hay balers. I haven't scoped that out yet to see what it's like. The lube above is about like soft butter.
Yes, 105 is great for cooler running parts. It will break down if it gets too hot but not the case in the governor. I managed to ruin the pulley in the separation process. I do believe the hub of the pulley was heat shrunk on the shaft since there was no mechanical fastener. I had the hub so hot just before melting before it would move. The bearing is an R6 and the seal is C/R3683. The seal is still available and so is the bearing (which I have in stock). Thanks

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Pulley on one of mine was actually pinned, but, I still destroyed the pulley getting it off. For the cheap stamped steel pulleys, I being to think that they were designed to be replaced when the seal, or bearing, was serviced. There isn't a good way to get anything behind it, so when you press it out, it isn't applying pressure to the rim of the pulley..... Having one turned out of aluminum or steel sounds like a REALLY good idea.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
There isn't a good way to get anything behind it, so when you press it out, it isn't applying pressure to the rim of the pulley..... Having one turned out of aluminum or steel sounds like a REALLY good idea.
Yeah

After wrecking one, I tried a bearing splitter. That sort of worked, but still distorted the pulley. It also kept popping off my makeshift blocks. Next one I do, I'll make a little fixture out of angle stock.

Turning one is not too hard. You don't need any flanged edges, just a flat surface to ride on the belt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey You is correct I'm sure. These pulleys were not made to cooperate. Mine wasn't pinned but I'm sure it was heated then pressed on to the shaft. This would account for the spacer and and no mechanical fastener. I did turn one from aluminum but I had to fancy it up a bit.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Hey You is correct I'm sure. These pulleys were not made to cooperate. Mine wasn't pinned but I'm sure it was heated then pressed on to the shaft. This would account for the spacer and and no mechanical fastener. I did turn one from aluminum but I had to fancy it up a bit.
Perhaps that is an untapped market there for ya. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perhaps that is an untapped market there for ya. :D
That is true as many items out there are a lingering market just waiting for someone to jump in. I actually have a small valve seat grinder business I'm getting ready to sell. At 74 I need to start backing off a bit but not completly!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts