My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
66-L8
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1970 Gravely Custom L-8 2-wheel walk behind tractor. While inspecting it I found the pinion shaft to be bent at each of the 3 splines. It appears the machine was stopped rather abruptly one or more times. I have a spare pinion shaft, so can easily replace it. Is there any other damage I should look for that might be associated with the bent pinion shaft which could impact the run-ability of the machine?

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Ummm, I would also be concerned that the flywheels may be out of alignment.

When running does the machine seems to shake? These machines do vibrate a bit so if you’re new to Gravely L’s you may not notice. When the flywheels are way out one will actually make contact with the crankcase, this obviously will be felt when turning the engine over by hand with the plug removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
66-L8
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight! The tractor isn't running yet, but the magneto is on the way to Richard's for a rebuild. The carburetor is next. I hope that will be enough to get it running so I can see about vibration. There is a stress crack in the fan housing, which is part of why I was originally concerned.

In the meantime I am planning to pull the engine off the crank case and inspect he rear planetary gears when the weather gets a bit warmer. I'll also see how easily the engine rolls over by hand with the spark plug removed.

If the flywheels are out of alignment is this something that is difficult to fix?

·
Daryl G
884 Posts
...The tractor isn't running yet, but the magneto is on the way to Richard's for a rebuild...
Guideboat,
I have a magneto that needs a rebuild too. I looked at Richard's and the catalog that I see is rather dated (Spring 2015) and see no prices for rebuilds. Presumably, the prices are based on the type of magneto (WICO, Fairbanks & Morse, etc...) coupled with the exact type of repairs that are required. I am curious as to what a magneto rebuild can cost and is is more advantageous for me to look for a used, condition-unknown magneto on Ebay or send it a known magneto that is in need of some attention. The last magneto I purchased from Ebay was less than $30 and runs like a champ (it just needed a new condenser). I realize that specialized equipment is required for these old magnetos and that only a few places still perform this work but is a rebuild expensive?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thevlast magneto I purchased from Ebay was less than $30 and runs like a champ (it just needed a new condenser). I realize that specialized equipment is required for these old magnetos and that only a few places still perform this work but is a rebuild expensive?
I think a simple garage rebuild would bring about 95% of magnetos back into spec with new points, condenser, gasket, plug wire, and maybe the cover.

I have more of a challenge timing the magneto to the tractor than rebuilding one, but that’s just me.

I had a Allis Chalmers magneto rebuilt at Mainley Magnetos in yes, Maine. It wasn’t cheap, but it had some issues that went beyond points and condenser.
Magneto places are out there for sure, I don’t know of any specific to Gravely though. If some one does I’d love to hear it.

I’d be also interested in someone who can rebuild that flipping carburetor on the L.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I think a simple garage rebuild would bring about 95% of magnetos back into spec with new points, condenser, gasket, plug wire, and maybe the cover.

I have more of a challenge timing the magneto to the tractor than rebuilding one, but that’s just me.

I had a Allis Chalmers magneto rebuilt at Mainley Magnetos in yes, Maine. It wasn’t cheap, but it had some issues that went beyond points and condenser.

Magneto places are out there for sure, I don’t know of any specific to Gravely though. If some one does I’d love to hear it.

I’d be also interested in someone who can rebuild that flipping carburetor on the L.

What’s so hard about the carb? Two big issues are..1- worn throttle shaft bushings and 2- a warped top half. If either of these conditions are present air will be sucked in making adjustment and good running almost impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
66-L8
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Richard's called about my magneto today. It's junk. The bearings are locked up and won't turn. I've ordered a remanufactured magneto from them and hope to receive it towards the weekend. I also got a plug, plug wire, and the boot for the magneto end of the wire. That should take electrical problems out of the equation as I try to get this old L-8 running again.

Fireant911: I'd recommend giving Richard's a call and see what they can tell you about the price of a rebuild.

Jet-A: Richard's says the can rebuild/recondition magnetos, carbs, and even cylinder assemblies. I struck out on the magneto rebuild. In a couple of weeks I'll try sending the carb to Richard's and hope for better success.

·
Registered
527 Posts
What’s so hard about the carb? Two big issues are..1- worn throttle shaft bushings and 2- a warped top half. If either of these conditions are present air will be sucked in making adjustment and good running almost impossible.
I’ll take a look at the top halves again if they are warped.

My main problem is with the high speed jet. The jets are straight and in good shape. I can’t get the seat for them out. I don’t want to strip the slot for the screwdriver either. But the seat doesn’t look bad. I’ve also replaced the packings on the needle. One carb has a very sensitive sweet spot, 1/4 turn either way and it runs horrible. Another carb has the opposite problem. You have to turn the adjustment many turns to get any noticeable difference in the mixture.
My third carb is fine, what I would call normal.
Like Goldilocks and the three bears of carb adjustments.

Guideboat - I’ll have to ask what Richards wants for a carb rebuild.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts