My Tractor Forum banner

Gravely L 30" left hand mower

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  howellmachine 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a parts diagram for this mower? Looking for oil seal on the vertical shaft. Thanks

#2 ·
#4 ·
It sounds like somebody rebuilt yours with sealed bearings. That's not original for that unit.

Even if you use sealed bearings, you still need oil in there to lubricate the gears. The drive gear picks it up and carries it up to the spindle gear.

#6 ·
You only fill it so far and pipe keeps it from running out the vertical shaft. There not the best designed gear head they ever had, It was also there first rotary mower from 52 to about 57

#7 ·
What Steve said

I don't think I'd trust grease to stay where you need it in that mower head. You need it to get up to that top gear. The stand pipe design works ok, as long as you don't tip it sideways.

#9 ·
The design isn't the best but think of the Ford 9n tractor with one pedal on the left for the clutch and brake. It works OK if you know how it works and keep it adjusted.Would it be wise on this left hand mower to use the shielded bearings with one shield toward the outside since there is no protection there?

#11 ·
It wouldn't hurt

I sold my last left-hander some years ago, so operating from memory here. IIRC there's a heavy plate that looks like a washer on the business end of the shaft below where it exits the gearbox. Part number 35 in the IPL perhaps? That gives some protection to the bearing. But tech has improved since these things were designed; a single shielded bearing seems like a sensible improvement.

#10 ·
I have mine torn apart but its not a lefty . I have a cpl tubes of the gear lube, its the same stuff I would use in my trucks manual tranny and also the differential as well, that 80-90 wt. stuff I think. I also have the grease as well. I heard a cpl guys on here talking about mixing just a little bit of oil with the grease awhile back so it would have some flow to it.
Im just saying someone was talking about it a cpl yrs. ago but have no idea whatsoever if it works or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.