My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Gravely GMT 9000 tractor and do not know anything about them. I am hoping someone could provide information for this tractor. From what I can tell it has a Continental engine (800-46). It also has a 72" belly mower, PTO with hydraulics. The Pistons are seized up due to sitting for a long period of time. I have noticed that parts are extremely hard to find. Does anyone know where to find parts and a good service manual for this model. I have also thought about doing an engine swap to a diesel but do not know what other engines may work in this tractor. I anyone could help me with the following questions I have it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Best Engine to Swap out?
  • Where to get Parts?
  • Best service manual to get?
  • Correct Spark Plugs to use?
  • Ignition Firing Order?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems I have purchased a unicorn in the tractor community. After extensive research and lack of response to this post it appears this model of tractor has faded from history. I would have loved to restored this tractor but did not realize how hard it was to find parts or information when I purchased it. If there is anyone looking for parts for this model or is interested in purchasing everything please let me know. I will do my best to respond when time allows. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Well, I'm not sure where you posted this first, but it appears your post just got moved to the GRAVELY forum today? Or it was delayed because yo are a new member? Otherwise I would have seen it by now as I was on here over the weekend.

GRAVELY did not make these tractors for very long, they are rare, it is a unique product in the GRAVELY line but it does share some parts and features with other GRAVELY riding tractors.

You can fine manuals and parts lists here:

GravelyManuals.com - OldGravelys.info: :

Specifically:

https://manuals.gtcoa.com/pdf/GMT_9000_Engine_IPL_0477.pdf

https://manuals.gtcoa.com/pdf/GMT_9000_Op_Man_0579.pdf

https://manuals.gtcoa.com/pdf/GMT_9000_Engine_Own_Man.pdf

https://manuals.gtcoa.com/pdf/GMT_900_IPL_1277.pdf

https://manuals.gtcoa.com/pdf/GMT_9000_Parts_Cat_0779.pdf

And there are more in the riding tractor section of that site.

There are also a number of facebook groups were more of the GRAVELY community is hanging out these days....

I'm sure if you decide not to keep the tractor you will find someone interested in it.

I'm am not an expert of that GRAVELY, but will be happy to help if I can.

Sheldon

·
Registered
125 Posts
They should have been expanded with the attachments.... Like a front bucket and rear hoe. Also a front snowblower.
By the time you adapt this stuff, a JD is more attractive. :confused:
Missed opportunity by Gravely.

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
They should have been expanded with the attachments.... Like a front bucket and rear hoe. Also a front snowblower.
By the time you adapt this stuff, a JD is more attractive. :confused:
Missed opportunity by Gravely.
Agreed, they never followed thru. But maybe their initial sales suggested that segment was already too full, Cub, Deere, Kubota, and others were already well established in that class.

I think the 24-G was also a mis-step for GRAVELY. Their over build conservative approach caused them to build a bigger frame that impacted attachment interchangeably. But history has shown that existing G series platform does just fine with 24 or more HP.

They cou,d have added all the features of the 24G to the existing G platform, built a 4 blade 72" deck, offered their own version of the Quikway loader, and the ultimate G tractor.

Many people, including myself, have come very close to that with upgrades to our G series tractors.

And both drive clutches and the pto clutch handle the power just fine.

Sheldon

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a Gravely GMT 9000 tractor and do not know anything about them. I am hoping someone could provide information for this tractor. From what I can tell it has a Continental engine (800-46). It also has a 72" belly mower, PTO with hydraulics. The Pistons are seized up due to sitting for a long period of time. I have noticed that parts are extremely hard to find. Does anyone know where to find parts and a good service manual for this model. I have also thought about doing an engine swap to a diesel but do not know what other engines may work in this tractor. I anyone could help me with the following questions I have it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Best Engine to Swap out?
  • Where to get Parts?
  • Best service manual to get?
  • Correct Spark Plugs to use?
  • Ignition Firing Order?
I have two of these, a runner and a parts unit. A runner that has an ignition issue. Runs good on a test box, cuts out any higher than an idle. Having said that, they are a neat tractor. The Continental engine is really a Renault and I have been told they were used in forklifts. I did recently see a "D" series Wheel Horse at a show that had one, but the whole tractor was imported by Wheel Horse. They are a heavy tractor with power steering, three PTOs, 12? spds, 3 pt hitch. I am likely going to repower mine and since the transmission is shaft driven from the engine and a fair distance away, it should not be that bad. The frame is narrow so an inline would be first choice, maybe a 2-3 cyl diesel from a genset. My local repair shop also had the idea of going with an air cooled twin like for a zero turn mower in the 25-35hp range. The sump would need to fit between the rails, it could sit at a slight incline or sit high and have a lower parallel jackshaft to the trans with a sprocket and roller chain? You may want to think again and not give up, there is nothing that too much money, too much time and pure stubbornness cannot fix. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The air cooled engine idea is interesting. What type of setup are you thinking about? What kind of gear drive and ratio would you need for this tractor? I would love to hear more details about your conversion ideas if you don’t care to expand because it doesn’t look like I will be able to find parts to get mine running or to keep it running for any extended time due to availability. I truly hate to see pieces of history go extinct. Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The air cooled engine idea is interesting. What type of setup are you thinking about? What kind of gear drive and ratio would you need for this tractor? I would love to hear more details about your conversion ideas if you don’t care to expand because it doesn’t look like I will be able to find parts to get mine running or to keep it running for any extended time due to availability. I truly hate to see pieces of history go extinct. Thanks for your post.
You would only need a gear if you went with the jack shaft to accommodate an engine output shaft height higher than the transmission input shaft height, in that case, go 1:1. Another thought is that if you went diesel, it could be lower horsepower since the torque is what you want, making it a smaller 2-3 cyl size. In the uses market, I think a genset or pump application would be better since there may be no bellhousing or a smaller one than a unit out of a tractor application.
Another application to look at would be the John Deere FC and/or the Toro front mower commercial units. The Toro may have used this gas engine in an earlier version before they went diesel, may be something there?
Thinking of an air cooled twin, 25-30 hp application, the manufacturers have the dimensional envelopes in their application charts and drawings, you could mock something up before committing to purchase, may be a minimal amount of frame modifications needed.
There is another option, that is electric conversion. You could close couple a DC motor low in the frame, then the space the upper block and radiator occupied could be batteries?
That tractor has good bones, the Gravely transmission is solid, you have hydraulics to the front and rear, a real rugged 3 pt hitch, PTOs front. middle and rear. If you are into the tractor cheap, you could repower for under $2K I would think. Did you say you have a mower deck and blower as well? Check out the pics of these with the mower deck and the 50" batwing mower deck, that is a mowing machine. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You would only need a gear if you went with the jack shaft to accommodate an engine output shaft height higher than the transmission input shaft height, in that case, go 1:1. Another thought is that if you went diesel, it could be lower horsepower since the torque is what you want, making it a smaller 2-3 cyl size. In the uses market, I think a genset or pump application would be better since there may be no bellhousing or a smaller one than a unit out of a tractor application.
Another application to look at would be the John Deere FC and/or the Toro front mower commercial units. The Toro may have used this gas engine in an earlier version before they went diesel, may be something there?
Thinking of an air cooled twin, 25-30 hp application, the manufacturers have the dimensional envelopes in their application charts and drawings, you could mock something up before committing to purchase, may be a minimal amount of frame modifications needed.
There is another option, that is electric conversion. You could close couple a DC motor low in the frame, then the space the upper block and radiator occupied could be batteries?
That tractor has good bones, the Gravely transmission is solid, you have hydraulics to the front and rear, a real rugged 3 pt hitch, PTOs front. middle and rear. If you are into the tractor cheap, you could repower for under $2K I would think. Did you say you have a mower deck and blower as well? Check out the pics of these with the mower deck and the 50" batwing mower deck, that is a mowing machine. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts