My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Gravely GLT 548 model year 2000. Has a 22 Hp B&S V with 396 hours. I paid $800 is this a good deal? Can't seem to find much information on this model - why? Also has a snow plow with weight box and tire chains.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
:Welcome1:

Welcome to MTF and the world of Gravely.

Being a 2000 model, I believe that your Gravely was built by Ariens. I am sure that some of the other members here are familiar with it, but I'm not.

Got any pics?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I purchased the Gravely model 987107-GLT 548H for $800. One owner with all the manuals - even the snow plow.

Cut my grass tonight (two weeks of growth - 10" and damp) with it and had trouble keeping the blades cutting on level 3. Moved two 4 and it didn't bog down as much. Is this normal - can't remenber my 13 year old 19.5 Hp craftsman sounding like the blades were stopping under these conditions. Hope this isn't a more serious issue - any ideas? Thanks.

Other than the issue noted it cuts great and runs great.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've got a Gravely 1238-G with a 12 horse briggs and a 38 inch deck that cuts better in tall wet grass than my Husqvarna YTH2348 with a 23 horse V-twin and a 48 inch deck.

I think these had 48" decks

Here's a couple pics (Not mine, just found them on craigslist)

I guess it's just one more blade to spin on a 48" deck, I don't know why they have to double the HP....

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the Gravely I purchased:thThumbsU I thought it may have been associated with the deck. I'm not sure how the deck drive works but, the engine didn't try to shut down it sounded like the blades stopped spinning - clutch slips if blades bind?

Thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
What about the belt? My 1238 was doing then when I first pulled it outta the barn. It started slipping, then split it in half. Took me a week to finally find the right belt to put back under it.

Does it have the electric PTO? Maybe it need adjusted or something...Don't ask me how though, lol. Might need cleaned?

Once my Husqvarna's PTO locks up (it's electric) it will kill the motor before the clutch will slip, it's never slipped on me.

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm very happy with the build quality of this tractor style. The mowing I did yesterday did cause some concerns but maybe high damp grass doesn't cut well in this type of tractor. I talked to an experienced service center and I may have a belt slippage problem. How do you check for proper belt tension (without cutting high damp grass)? Also noticed the cruise control doesn't work (light comes on). What is the typical cause for a malfunctioning cruise control.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tractor cuts great when the grass is dry as it should...appears to be a really good purchase!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Glad to hear. Yeah, alot of mowers really don't like the grass wet. They tend to clog. I know my Husqvarna clogs something awful whenever it's a little wet out.

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why does my deck drop out of it's height setting? The deck has 5 settings when I set it to 3 it drops into 2. I also noticed that it will not lock in the 5 position. Help please...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't know anything about these mowers...how does it operate? Could you post a pic?

Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts