My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LI has a strange problem. With engine running the tractor wants to creep forward (like the forward clutch is not disengaging cleanly. Reverse works fine, forward works fine when engaged. The levers are adjusted correctly. When engine is off, machine pulls backwards easily but requires more effort to push forward (with the levers in neutral position). It had sat for a few decades and engagement lever may have been in forward position the whole time.

Is it likely that this will self correct or is it an imminent failure rearing it's ugly head???

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
My LI has a strange problem. With engine running the tractor wants to creep forward (like the forward clutch is not disengaging cleanly. Reverse works fine, forward works fine when engaged. The levers are adjusted correctly. When engine is off, machine pulls backwards easily but requires more effort to push forward (with the levers in neutral position). It had sat for a few decades and engagement lever may have been in forward position the whole time.

Is it likely that this will self correct or is it an imminent failure rearing it's ugly head???
The shift lever and clutch system has no Neutral position. What is happening is the clutch cup is slightly touching the planetary gear set and causing the creep. One solution is to put a Belleville or Curved Disc spring washer between the lever and the the support pivot. The lever can then be placed in a neutral position and it will stay there until purposely moved, These washers are available at some hardware stores or McMaster Carr.

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
It doesn't even require that the clutches be out of adjustment. You've got a couple of fairly large diameter cone clutches running in an oil bath. It's impossible to avoid some coupling through the oil, even if no cone is in contact with any cup. All the gravely walkers creep to some degree or other.

If I encountered one which didn't creep, I'd start to worry about what inside was busted, or so worn that it wasn't even trying.

"Operating as designed" :)

Reactions: Geezerputz

·
Registered
776 Posts
You mentioned you might have just gotten this tractor going. As you use it, it will probably get better. Have you really used it much? You will find all tractors, even ones in perfect shape, will creep when first started and the oil is cold. After things get hot they will quit doing it.

For the meantime, you can try taking the high/low lever out and put it in neutral to see if that helps. But I believe after you put some hours on it, the problem will improve.

P.S. What type of oil are you running? A straight 30w is going to aggravated the problem more than a 10w-30 weight oil would.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You so much for the responses! I am using 10W-30 oil. Since it's "first Start" a week ago I have only run it for 10 minutes at a time and the weather has been in the 30's and low 40's. The oil never even got warmed up (as evidenced by feeling the oil filter can). I will rest a bit easier for now knowing that it is not some huge internal malfunction manifesting itself.Thanks again!

Now I have to do some maintenance on the attachment engagement system at the front of the machine. Pushing and pulling the engagement rod moves the lever at the front up and down, not front to back. I love this kind of work!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shift lever and clutch system has no Neutral position. What is happening is the clutch cup is slightly touching the planetary gear set and causing the creep. One solution is to put a Belleville or Curved Disc spring washer between the lever and the the support pivot. The lever can then be placed in a neutral position and it will stay there until purposely moved, These washers are available at some hardware stores or McMaster Carr.
Thank You for the reassurance. Yes, I have dealt with McMaster-Carr and they are a great resource, thanks for the tip. I also have a ton of nuts/bolts/washers that I've accumulated over the years and readily available and that is also extremely handy. I almost always I have whatever I need if I look hard enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts