My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know much about these things exceptstuderbaker made this one. I dont Know about all of them. Would anyone on here be interested in this gravely or know someone who would be or at least point mw in the right direction. Its a diesel and in Good shape. Doesnt run at the moment. Low hours and has all parts for front pto. By the way I have way better hi def photo with all the stuff off the deck just couldnt convert then to my iphone tonight. I will do it tomorrow. Any help would be awesomw. Thanks

957DD0BC-40A1-4F04-B4CA-7E869CDCE40B.jpeg

2657C0F7-24AB-4499-944E-1A227A744E16.jpeg

2657C0F7-24AB-4499-944E-1A227A744E16.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
We'd need to know more.

First off, that looks like a fairly late model 5665. I'm not sure Studebaker still owned Gravely by that time, I think it was after the Ariens acquisition. Also, the stock engine would have been a Kohler 12hp. It's possible somebody re-engined it with a diesel, although the exhaust is still in the right place for a Kohler.

Are you looking for suggested value? More pix and detailed description would help. If it really is a diesel, I'd probably pass. If it's got the Kohler, and everything else is present and relatively clean, maybe somewhere in the 3-500 range. Maybe. It also depends on location. In some areas gravelys are scarce and bring better prices, even non-runners.

OTOH, you could buy it with the plan of doing a re-power no matter what's on there. In that case you should factor in the cost of the re-power in your decision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Im looking to sale. It doen have studebaker vin and name printed on it. I own a 37 and 47 studebaker as well. The shops pretty full so it was hard to get some clean shots ill try and do that this week. And yea im looking for suggestions for the best place to sell it. Im fairly sure it diesel but i could be way wrong. Ive never heard it crank before my dad used it before i was born. We have a b series kubota dieEl and a kubota z326d now Whats the down sidewith the diesel on thrse things.? It maybe has arounf only 150 hr on the diesel. Thanks you i would appreciate any information.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Im looking to sale. It doen have studebaker vin and name printed on it. I own a 37 and 47 studebaker as well. The shops pretty full so it was hard to get some clean shots ill try and do that this week. And yea im looking for suggestions for the best place to sell it. Im fairly sure it diesel but i could be way wrong. Ive never heard it crank before my dad used it before i was born. We have a b series kubota dieEl and a kubota z326d now Whats the down sidewith the diesel on thrse things.? It maybe has arounf only 150 hr on the diesel. Thanks you i would appreciate any information.
Oh and i live in kannapolis NC. Right out side of concord. I havent heard of any or seen another around the area even fairs or 4h meetings. I will get more photo as i have to go out there and drop a battery in my corvette to hopefully sell that this weekend. The only reason i even mention studebaker because its printed on there if not for that i wouldnt have known. It probably why my father bought it to having those other studebakers

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Ah. Didn't realize you were selling.

If it does have a diesel, that was a re-power, so the task (for you or a new owner) would be to figure out what you've got and how to debug it. The gravely manuals won't help. There are a couple of posters on here who have done diesel re-powers, they might be able to help with generic information.

NC is not big gravely territory. Your best bet is probably to bring it to local tractor/equipment shows. And use CL. The right buyer might be chomping at the bit to find just that sort of machine/project, and pay good money for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Post a picture of the engine. 2 things:

1. To me it definitely looks like a stock Kohler gasoline engine, just with a remote air filter mounted to it.
2. That is definitely a machine made after the Studebaker to Ariens change over. Some of the attachments might be older and have the Studebaker logo though.

Price varies based on location and attachments included with the machine. I see a 40" mower attached and what looks like a rotary plow. Around my area in CT, that would easily sell for $800 in non-running but complete condition. In running condition they go for $1000+.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
NC is not very good for these older gravely sales. I talked with the owner of an old gravely shop in Hillsborough NC. He had to send most of his old stock to the scrappers because no one was interested in them. He still has a good selection of L machines left with some unusual parts on them. He offered me a freshly rebuilt electric start L8 with no attachments for $500. I had to pass because I have enough tractors as it is.

Which part of NC are you in?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah. Didn't realize you were selling.

If it does have a diesel, that was a re-power, so the task (for you or a new owner) would be to figure out what you've got and how to debug it. The gravely manuals won't help. There are a couple of posters on here who have done diesel re-powers, they might be able to help with generic information.

NC is not big gravely territory. Your best bet is probably to bring it to local tractor/equipment shows. And use CL. The right buyer might be chomping at the bit to find just that sort of machine/project, and pay good money for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I was wrong. Just talked to my older brother who ised ro mow with it and it is gas. My dad bought it in the mid 70s. It still does say studebaker on everything Sorry i
I know nothing. Out grVelys really

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We'd need to know more.

First off, that looks like a fairly late model 5665. I'm not sure Studebaker still owned Gravely by that time, I think it was after the Ariens acquisition. Also, the stock engine would have been a Kohler 12hp. It's possible somebody re-engined it with a diesel, although the exhaust is still in the right place for a Kohler.

Are you looking for suggested value? More pix and detailed description would help. If it really is a diesel, I'd probably pass. If it's got the Kohler, and everything else is present and relatively clean, maybe somewhere in the 3-500 range. Maybe. It also depends on location. In some areas gravelys are scarce and bring better prices, even non-runners.

OTOH, you could buy it with the plan of doing a re-power no matter what's on there. In that case you should factor in the cost of the re-power in your decision.
Thanks. I never would have thought of that. It is gasoline i messed up but i swear studebaker is on the everypart

·
Super Moderator
29,585 Posts
Moved your for sale thread to the For Sale and Wanted to Buy forum and added your state. If it sells please post back on this thread that it has sold so we can move it off site.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi I sent you a PM through the forum with my #. Please give me a ring/text. I think this forum platform calls them "Conversations".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im head out there tomorrow i will get all the stuff off of it and take better pics of everything. Anything in particular i should snap a pic of

1 - 20 of 27 Posts