My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '72 model Convertible with the 7.6 that my grandfather bought new and handed down to me recently when I moved to the country. The other day I was mowing grass and switched from forward to reverse and the tractor acted sluggish and moved back slowly. When I switched back to forward it did the same and then would not pull itself at all. The PTO will still engage in both hi and lo ranges and after letting the tractor sit for a bit it started back up and pulled itself back to where I park it but started to move slower the farther I took it. My suspicion is the clutch cup is worn finally but want to get some opinions on this before I start to buy things I don't need. When out of gear it will free wheel easily and while rolling I tried to put it in forward and reverse with little resistance felt. I did pull the front apart and the gears and all in fine shape but there is a burnt smell in the cup. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Josh

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
First thing, tighten up the adjuster nuts on the fwd/rev shifter. While you're at it, check the high/low.

It's been 40 years, if the thing hasn't been adjusted, it wouldn't be too surprising if it's worn. It will wear a lot faster if it's slipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked all of the linkages and adjusted per instructions already. I've noticed over the past few weeks that speed has started to slow a bit but didn't think it was much until it stopped all together. Even after the main problem I checked the whole thing over again but didn't help any. I guess I will be buying a clutch cup to put in the ol gal to get her going again. All gears looked good and no metal shavings in the oil is a great sign I guess. Also, the cup still has lining but metal is showing through in places and it is very thin all over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I would give an update on the thread. Put a good used clutch cup in thanks to beaner2u for letting one of his go. The tractor needed some TLC to get it to fire up again but it is alive and well. First try at forward worked well then I rolled an axle key and down again it went... I had a good set of hubs that I had been planning on switching out since the others did have significant wear to them so an hour later she's up and running again with no issues what so ever. brush hogged the field down around an old barn and switched out to the 40" commercial deck and took care of the lawn. Really appreciate the information on here and the great group of people willing to help out. Now if I could just find an old wood cart and a roller rest hitch I'd be happy!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Good to hear that you're back up and running. Thanks for the update. :fing32:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts