My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Gravely word and I have a Commercial 430 and after a lot of time and patience I got it running.:tango_face_smile:. The problem I am having is the high and low gears well not shift. When the unit is off the lever well not go up or down. I have read the service manual but it was not helpful. I was hoping some one here could point me in the right direction. This is a Onan Engine Model # NB-MS/1847A.

·
Super Moderator
10,904 Posts
I wish I could help, but I have never opened up a swiftamatic transmission. Normally I would say to check the linkage to make sure that there isn't something that is binding it up. I know that I usually need to feather my 430's transmission slightly between forward, and neutral in order for my hi/low to go back into high range. Not being able to move your shifter at all when your tractor is off sounds like an internal problem, unless perhaps, your other linkages are so far off in adjustment. Just (maybe unfounded) conjecture on my part though.

There are several 2 wheeler owners here who would have more knowledge of your (and my) transmission as your transmission was also used on 2 wheeler tractors during this timeframe. Maybe they can offer some advice.

Just an afterthought, and FWIW, have you tried moving the hi/lo shifter while rocking the tractor back, and forth slightly?

·
Super Moderator
10,904 Posts
I found this youtube vid today. As I mentioned, although this is a 2 wheeler tractor, it has the same "Swiftamatic" transmission as is used on your 430.

Although his problem is slightly different than yours, you will get a good look at the inner workings of the hi/low shifter assy. He did solve his problem by restoring the full range of travel of his shifter assy. Yours could be stuck between the 2 ranges for some reason.

You may want to remove the right axle, and check that the high/low shifter assy., and dog clutch are working properly, and has full range of travel as a starting point. Who knows, the p/o may have thought he could shift on the fly, locked everything up in the process, and the shifter assy. and/or splined shafts just need to be freed up. Or maybe the shifter assy. is super gummed up. Just be sure to drain the transmission oil first, or there will be a gusher when you pull the axle. Good luck!
Here is the link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiqva6InvTlAhXjm-AKHf4SB8gQtwIwAHoECAkQAQ&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbnuYj_34ik&usg=AOvVaw3BTes8Zm7UuFjInPnS7Uzk

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
First question is it the left lever or the right lever?

If left side more than likely pivots are froze in the shifter linkage common issue. Just takes some tlc to get them moveing. Same can be said for the right hand lever linkage.

See what you have going on exactly here before speaking up more

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
It would be nice if that turns out to be all RichardTN's problem is. Maybe PB Blaster to the rescue.
Heres me and a 424 that sat in the woods for years getting it shifting right. One of the few have yet to make a thread on yet. Skip to 2 30 ish I get moveing on the linkage

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to work on it this afternoon. I have gotten some pretty good ideas from al of y'all but my job is in the way of me playing with it but I well tonight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I tried Steve's idea with PB blaster but my linkage use not frozen.:tango_face_sad: Tomorrow if I have time I well take a look at the gears and clutch. Wish me luck!!!!!!

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Well I tried Steve's idea with PB blaster but my linkage use not frozen.:tango_face_sad: Tomorrow if I have time I well take a look at the gears and clutch. Wish me luck!!!!!!
Which lever is not moveing? Far left or far right?

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
the left one the high/low lever
You can unhook the linkage and work it independent of each part. Theres quite a few pivots in the system. Perhaps the lever its self is froze to the shaft. If it was the clutch or internal the lever would move, go in but no movement of the tractor or pto.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I think I fixed my problem with the 430 not shifting into the 1 or 2 gear. when I lifted it up to work on the linkage the mower deck slipped off the PTO and now the sifter and the PTO lever work. it looks like I did not have them lined up right. So tomorrow I just need to line it all up and good for a test drive.:tango_face_devil: Thanks for all the help. by the way any suggestions on how to get it all line up right?

·
Super Moderator
10,904 Posts
Do you mean having the shifters lined up right? With the 1/2, and high low shifters they should both be in one of their positions. 2/High should be fine for your first ride. The pto shifter should be in the "out" position except when you're running the mower deck.

As for the mower deck slipping off, did you mean the driveshaft connector slipped off the pto output shaft, or the whole deck slipped out of it's mounts? If you're talking about lining up the mower deck, it should automatically line up when you attach it to the mounts on the tractor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the test drive went well the snifters worked well and so did the PTO . I think i have a keeper.

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Can't agree more congrats on the working tractor

1 - 20 of 20 Posts