My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Gravely Commercial 12. The fellow I bought if from said it was from back in the early 50's. It came with a rotery plow, Bush hog, Finish Mower, Tiller and a sulky. I paid $500.00 for it. It runs perfect. Didn't have to do anything to it. It has electric start and I've already mowed my lawn with it.

I have two questons however. First the tractor seems to be in to good of running shape to be that old, and second did I pay to much for it.

It's really dirty right now or I'd share some pics with you folks, once I clean it up I'll post them.

The unit has a White hood and Yellow engine and frame. I'm not sure what size the engine is but it is a Cast Iron Kohler. I have a newer BCS with a 8HP Kohler and the engine on the Gravely looks about twice that size... I don't know if the Commercial "12" indicates 12 HP or not.

Please share your wisdom with me!!!

Thank,
Mike.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I think that you did pretty good on that one for the price.

If I remember correctly, that machine should be from the 70's, not the 50's and it is 12 horsepower.

I am moving this thread over to the Gravely forum where it will get more exposure and lots more attention. We have some very knowledgeable guys in the Gravelys.

·
Registered
268 Posts
With the included attachments, the setup is easily worht $500. The tillers alone, in good shape can bring $200.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Sounds like you got a good deal on that machine. I'd be interested in how it compares to the BCS. Don't forget the pictures! We like pictures of dirty Gravely's too! Good luck, Ed

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Sounds like you got a good deal on that machine. I'd be interested in how it compares to the BCS. Don't forget the pictures! We like pictures of dirty Gravely's too! Good luck, Ed
No comparison. The BCS is half the weight and abilities.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My BCS is only a couple years old. I have a tiller and snow blower attachment for it. It's a bull with the tiller. We'll see how the snow blower works when the snow flys...

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Just make sure you're getting clean fuel to your carb. Check your tank for any major rust issues - absent that, install one of those larger, pleated fuel filters. I would recommend that, given the machine's age, you just grab a few feet of 1/4 inch gas line and replace your existing line. Given your tractor's age, you've probably still have a metal fuel line - I would consider changing it out, but guys do want to keep their machines as original as possible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, It looks like they changed the fuel line out already and have put a filter on it... But I will certainly upgrade that filter before running it again.

Thanks for the tips... Do you think it looks about average for the year?

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Thanks, It looks like they changed the fuel line out already and have put a filter on it... But I will certainly upgrade that filter before running it again.

Thanks for the tips... Do you think it looks about average for the year?

Yeah I do - Gravely wasn't known then for their paint quality - particularly yellow. I really enjoy the old Commerical series tractors because they are bullish, no-frills, take care of business tractors. You really have acquired a great machine and your appreciation for it will rapidly increase as time goes by. Welcome to the forum - hope you have garage space for more than one, as it's tough to stay at that number (each attachment requires a separate Gravely - ha)!!

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Yeah I do - Gravely wasn't known then for their paint quality - particularly yellow. I really enjoy the old Commerical series tractors because they are bullish, no-frills, take care of business tractors. You really have acquired a great machine and your appreciation for it will rapidly increase as time goes by. Welcome to the forum - hope you have garage space for more than one, as it's tough to stay at that number (each attachment requires a separate Gravely - ha)!!
And here I thought it was you had to have 2 tractors for every attachment you had.:banghead3

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
:swow: Only TWO for each attachment? What if you have problems?
Yeah, I probably shoulda sold it to my better half like that, way back when. Instead of proclaiming their versatility, I shoulda said that about every 30 minutes or so, a fresh tractor needed to be hooked up to the attachment. She wouldn't have realized - at least not immediately - that the true time frame was more like every half century. :fing32:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts