My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
having problems starting my gravely. Just to stress that out- I am from Europe.
So, the last time I started it, was last year. It started and ran fine. The fuel pump is not working and the fuel line comes directly from tank to carb. I tested the pump the other day and when you wet the to connections the water the is on the whole goes in and out on both ends, but when line connected does not seem to pump fuel up to carb. So, when i turn the key, starter works, fan rotates, but engine does not start. Spark is ok as I removed it and tested. Apart from having some black deposits it looked ok and the spark it produces look ok. What could be the reason? What to look for?

PS tried to start with choke on, but after holding started key for about 7secs nothing happened. Tried with little bit of throttle, same.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
If you've got spark and compression, it's likely fuel.

Try squirting a shot of carb cleaner in the air intake, then crank it. If it puffs, or runs for a few seconds then quits, you've got pretty good evidence that the fuel's not getting where it needs to go.

In that case, I'd first open up the carb, make sure the needle's working, no clogged jets etc. Then try to find a rebuild kit for the fuel pump (you can still sometimes find them on somebody's parts shelf) or replace it.

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
Thanks for quick reply. The air intake is just behind the air cleaner housing, right?
Right.

Just unscrew the wingnut and remove the air cleaner cover. Then you can spray right in the carb inlet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My guess is that if the gasoline had ethanol in it, it underwent phase separation. I’ve been told that eventually it solidifies and plugs the carb jets.

I might be wrong, just ask my X

1 - 5 of 5 Posts