My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,141 Posts
Yes, I used Industrial Touch Up Gravely "Alaska White" on the 816. I am also using it on the 408 which I am working on now. I was/am happy with the application, coverage, and color compared with the original (an off white as you mentioned),

I've also used Rustoleum "Canvas White". This another good paint choise. The shade is very close, maybe even the same as ITU Alaska White

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I used Industrial Touch Up Gravely "Alaska White" on the 816. I am also using it on the 408 which I am working on now. I was/am happy with the application, coverage, and color compared with the original (an off white as you mentioned),

I've also used Rustoleum "Canvas White". This another good paint choise. The shade is very close, maybe even the same as ITU Alaska White

That is what I am using it on, a 408 picked it up for 50 bucks from a scraper, got a deck and parts deck and hopefully a plow. A good coat of paint some mechanical tinkering, and it will be good as new maybe I will try that rustoleum canvas white because it is a better available to me.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,737 Posts
That is what I am using it on, a 408 picked it up for 50 bucks from a scraper, got a deck and parts deck and hopefully a plow. A good coat of paint some mechanical tinkering, and it will be good as new maybe I will try that rustoleum canvas white because it is a better available to me.
Local stores here have dropped the Canvas White. A good alternative is the Rustoleum Plastic paint Shell White # 211364, 020066127664 bar code.

·
Super Moderator
13,141 Posts
This is Good News! Great Save! 408s have been falling by the wayside.
We need to start preserving the ones that are left, since they are a part of Gravely history. Is yours all white, or red and white?

jepics, our 408 expert, has also created the "Gravely 408 Group" in conjunction with the Gravely Club, both of which can be found in Yahoo Groups.
You should stop by there. Lots of 408 info. to be had.

Be sure to update us on your progress here too.

P.S. I also paid $50 for mine, which was a non-runner, and did not include a deck. Here's a couple of pics of when I picked it up, and where it is now.

Feel free to post some pics of yours.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
The paint recipe I just used is darn close to the current factory color. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them. I have a NOS mower guard and a mower guard I just painted yesterday. I will post the pictures as a follow-up to the paint thread I started yesterday.

Gravely used a few different colors over the years. Which one is most correct for a given tractor is a bit of a guess sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
13,141 Posts
Before you paint your tractor PINK, as far as the ITU site is concerned, you don't want red/orange. I don't know which of the other two reds would be right for your tractor.

Instead, I'd just use Gravely's own Red touch-up #8700, which would be correct for your tractor. Availible at Gravely/Ariens dealers, and Richard's for starters.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,149 Posts
Local stores here have dropped the Canvas White. A good alternative is the Rustoleum Plastic paint Shell White # 211364, 020066127664 bar code.
I can't find thr canvass white in stores near me.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,141 Posts
Hmm... When I last asked my local Ace if Canvas White could be ordered, I was told that it could'nt as Ace did'nt carry it anymore. Next time, I'll be able to say that I know of two stores that WERE able to order it.

Things still worked out well with ITU. Since I ordered over $100 worth of paint (for two tractors), shipping was free, and no sales tax (vs 8.625 %!! here)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts