My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'vw worked a little more on my Gravely. I have 4 questions where some details and pictures can be found below:

1) Rear hitch – why are there two different hitch types?
2) 2 speed control shift clutch, loose fitting between “Pin, Shifter” and “Pin, Clutch Sliding” – Is this loose fitting normal?
3) Oil leaking at “Pin, Clutch Sliding” – where is the o-ring seal mounted, inside or outside the 2-Speed Axle Housing
4) Forward – Reverse control lever attachment – How is the locking done between the Lever arm and the actuating shaft, a key (Woodruff) or Allen bolts?

1) Rear hitch
I’ve now exchanged the rear hitch assembly with the one I got when I bought the sulky. No problem, the fit was as expected but there is a major difference between the two. On the hitch following the tractor, the “hitch block”, see picture, it’s a sold block of cast iron bolted on the hitch frame using 4 bolts. The lower hole is also fine threaded. On the other one, the hitch block is just made of bend metal welded to the “frame”.

IMG_20200224_161508.jpg

“Original” hitch

IMG_20191204_084849.jpg

“Sulky hitch” prior painting

Does anybody know anything about this difference and the reason for it?

2) 2 speed control shift clutch
When dismounting the brakes and other items on the right wheel hub (as seen from the operator), I noticed that there is a loose fitting of the “Pin, Clutch Sliding” (P/N 6721) and the “Pin, Shifter” (P/N 6726). Basically, the diameter of the “Bolt; Hex; ¼-20 x 1 ¼” (P/N 180024) is considerably smaller than the hole in the “Pin, Clutch Sliding”. NB, I forgot to measure the hole so I cannot tell you just now what the diameter is. Is this normal?

InkedIMG_20200224_144209_LI.jpg

3) Oil leaking at “Pin, Clutch Sliding”
Some oil leaks at the “Pin, Clutch Sliding”, see picture. Before I start dismount too much, I just need to know from which side of the housing you have to mount the “O-Ring 7/16 x 5/8 x 3/32” (P/N 6732). From the outside or the inside of the housing?

I think from the inside but I just need a confirmation.

InkedIMG_20200120_102920 - Copy_LI.jpg

4) Forward – Reverse control lever arm attachment
I noticed there was a loose fitting between the Forward – Reverse control lever arm (P/N 21384) and the actuating shaft. Here I’m a little lost, because in the IPL It’s not so clear which item the actuator axis is but my best guess is P/N 10625.

In my case, the locking which was rather loose, achieved by two Allen bolts, see picture. Is this correct or should there also be a key, e.g. a Woodruff key?

With the loose fitting, the forward drive was bad. I’ve now tightened the bolts but not yet tested it because I’m waiting for my new wheel spacers and the wider tires.

IMG_20200225_143201.jpg

IMG_20200225_143207.jpg

·
Registered
837 Posts
Sorry, but I'm not that well-versed with 500's and 5000's. Hopefully someone will come along to help you out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When you look at the right side handle bar. From the operator position. If you find two sets of mounting holes. Both are for forward/reverse.. One hole set is if you want to keep the tractor with locking reverse. The other hole set takes a different shifter and locks out the reverse. I forget which is which off hand but my C 12 has those. I've seen this on other C 12 don't know if it applies to other C series or not. Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Hitch: Not clear why there were multiple kinds, but that's not uncommon with gravelys. They were not at all above tweaking designs as they went along, whether for good reasons or not.

Axle shift pin: I'm pretty sure that bolt is a kludge. I'm not in front of my C12 right now, but I think there's supposed to be a spring pin there. There's no bolt listed there on the IPL. I recommend you pull that apart a little, and figure out how to put some more solid connection into place there rather than that bolt.

O-ring on sliding clutch pin: I can't believe you put that in from the outside. I would think the only way to do it would be to take the axle housing off, get the sliding pin out, put the o-ring on, and re-assemble.

Fwd/rev arm: Yeah, there's supposed to be a woodruff key in there. The cap screw on the end of the shaft, with the wide washers, holds the arm on and captures the key. If you just take the arm off, you should see the keyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. I'll check tomorrow if it's not snowing as it did today.

Crazy weather here, do far no snow at all and on Monday 18°C (about 65F). Today quite some wet snow but on the weekend the forecast around 15°C again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to come back to the Axle shift pin, there is a bolt (1/4-20 X 1 1/4) in the IPL, see item number 60 on page 5 of the IPL (P/N 180024). It's possible that's the bolt is not correct, e.g. metric instead of inch sized but that I've to measure tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
My apologies for the erroneous information. You're right, there is a small bolt in there.

It looks like 1/4-20, but there's enough crud on there that it's hard to tell. Or even see :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts