My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to pull the trigger on this beautiful garden tractor. Just looking for something to maintain small food plots and a garden or 2. This only interested me because of all the attachments and extras. 1 family owned since new. 400 hours. Low use. Attached pic of listing info. Just wondering if they are good reliable ol tractor for light use around the house. Have a brand new gravely zero turn and love it. Not looking to use this one for mowing. What anyone thinks this is worth would be nice to know also. I'm pretty sure I'm set on buying it either way but good to know what people think it's worth.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Welcome DW!

That's quite a package! The 800/8000 series are solid reliable machines. They need basic maintenance, but if given it, will last for decades. I'm not even sure how to value the ez-vac. If the tractor and the rest of the gear (mower, blower, rear tiller, plow blade, sweeper) are in good running condition, you're well upstream of 2K. Depending on the vac, maybe over 3K.

I'd love to see pix when you bring it home :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
About to pull the trigger on this beautiful garden tractor. Just looking for something to maintain small food plots and a garden or 2. This only interested me because of all the attachments and extras. 1 family owned since new. 400 hours. Low use. Attached pic of listing info. Just wondering if they are good reliable ol tractor for light use around the house. Have a brand new gravely zero turn and love it. Not looking to use this one for mowing. What anyone thinks this is worth would be nice to know also. I'm pretty sure I'm set on buying it either way but good to know what people think it's worth.

I have looked high and low for information on this tractor as I was looking to buy one.... this one if its in Michigan?I cant find a place to get parts when something breaks. Im pretty sure thats why they are so cheap. There is basically zero aftermarket support on this machine. That scared me right off. On a 40 plus year old machine.... its gonna need repairs.. You would be looking double or triple for a john deere. I would do some research first. Its all fun and games till you can't get parts to fix it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
I cant find a place to get parts when something breaks. Im pretty sure thats why they are so cheap. There is basically zero aftermarket support on this machine.
That hasn't been my experience

Many parts are still available from gravely. For other stuff, lots of stuff goes by on ebay. There are also places like Richard's, which has pretty much everything, or can advise where to get it.

There are some things which are getting more scarce/expensive, but for price/performance, I'd take a gravely over a deer in a heartbeat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome DW!

That's quite a package! The 800/8000 series are solid reliable machines. They need basic maintenance, but if given it, will last for decades. I'm not even sure how to value the ez-vac. If the tractor and the rest of the gear (mower, blower, rear tiller, plow blade, sweeper) are in good running condition, you're well upstream of 2K. Depending on the vac, maybe over 3K.

I'd love to see pix when you bring it home :)
I appreciate the reply! The little info I could gather on them I pretty much came to the came conclusion. I paid 3k for everything. Got it all home few hours ago. Everything had very little use and in beautiful condition for age. I'm happy with what I paid anyways and it will be a useful machine to have around the house. The reverse clutch is rattling a little bit. Looks like it's wore out and sloppy where it slides over the splines. You know if you can still find something like that? It works fine just rattles a little in forward

Also he had all original manuals and brochures. All maintenance records with receipts for everything also in 2 nice binder folders. Was a very well taken care of machine

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have looked high and low for information on this tractor as I was looking to buy one.... this one if its in Michigan?I cant find a place to get parts when something breaks. Im pretty sure thats why they are so cheap. There is basically zero aftermarket support on this machine. That scared me right off. On a 40 plus year old machine.... its gonna need repairs.. You would be looking double or triple for a john deere. I would do some research first. Its all fun and games till you can't get parts to fix it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
I couldn't find a whole lot of info on this one either. I looked up the next size bigger. Maybe a 8189 or something like that. Found alot more info on that model. This is the one in Michigan. I live by grand rapids so it was still a drive but I'm definitely happy with everything. I hope parts aren't as hard to find as you say but I figured parts would be hit or miss on most garden tractors from the 70's. I'm not sure tho I'm no expert on garden tractors by no means

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
DitchWitch2020,

You made a great buy, you got a bargain. Parts are easy to get, sometimes a little pricey. You may need to order parts by mail, but GRAVELY does still support most of the wear and tear parts even for your machine.

Many other parts are standard automotive or industrial hardware parts, easy to find.

Questions or problems just ask on here, or feel free to ask me directly by private message.

I have a newer G series rider, but they are all similar, all based on that same transaxle design.

You can find most manuals here:

GravelyManuals.com - OldGravelys.info: :

Your snow blower is actually much newer than the tractor.

The guys on here with riders will guide you thru whatever you need.

You just purchased the most rugged, over built garden tractor in the world.

I have written two booklets on the newer G series, but much of the info does apply to your tractor as well.

You can read about my tractor and the improvements I have designed here:

Latest 16G improvements

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
One more thought right now, All GRAVELY rear engine riders have the same transaxle and the same/similar frames, in one of two different lengths.

The different model numbers relate to engine and hp, frame length, hydraulic or manual lifts, and other features. Most all model "groups" share a lot of common parts, and all share the same or similar core parts.

So whatever you learned about the 8189, mostly applies to your tractor as well.

Most attachments interchange from 1971 to 2002, sometimes with some "adjustments", and a few exceptions.

I think you will be very happy.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Was a very well taken care of machine
That's a beauty!

The reverse clutch is rattling a little bit. Looks like it's wore out and sloppy where it slides over the splines. You know if you can still find something like that?
Clutches are available. Check ebay. But before you start buying parts, make sure it's adjusted correctly. That clutch will rattle if it's not tightened to correct specs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts