My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut for about a half acre then it acts like it wants to stall?I put new coil on 2 years ago.The plug is about a year old looks good still.The gas is flowing and carb looks clean and clear of debris.It did this last year but went away now its back again.Any other suggestions

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went out and checked it over with clear eyes and found the round plate that's at the end of the carb is missing.I'm thinking it was loose last year that's why the problem went away?Must have popped out half way through the yard cut.I have another carb new on the shelf so off it comes.I'll let ya know how she plays out.Thanks

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
How's that mower in your avitar work? Got any UTube postings of it in action?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL that's not mine Al I just found the pic on the inter-web and liked the thing.I might have to make one tho...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well got an update and its not good.Nothing really changes with the carb swap.What I'm wondering is how many coils am I gonna have to buy?I just bought this one 2 years ago and it's in doors all the time..I still have spark tho when she starts to stall????I'm gonna try a new plug tomorrow that's the cheapest route for now till payday..I guess..Never had a problem like this before...might be going down the road if I can't figure it out soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
when it quits take plug wire off and hold it and crank it over this will tell if the coil is bad or not
Don't take this as 100%
Other components in the ignition system are affected by heat.
I would start with the condensor if your tractor is not equipped with a module.

-Richard

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when it quits take plug wire off and hold it and crank it over this will tell if the coil is bad or not
Nice try but my dad was way ahead of you in the 70's with that one.:congrats:
I'm thinking condensor also now, it's the only thing not replaced .
To ease the stress I took the Speedex for a spin yesterday..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Without doing any research, a simple question. Does this tractor have seat switches with a time delay module. I had a slightly newer tractor and it was the time delay module, acted just like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I chased the same sort of problem for a long time on my kohler 12hp. It would mow fine then bog down when hot. My valve seats were totaly wasted and would not seat when hot, and the valves were sticking. coil, condenser, and carb cleaning was the the cheaper things to check first, you might want to take the head off and take a look at the the valves. When it started to bog and sputter it was running very lean and hot and finally warped the head enough to blow the gasket. when i opened it up i could see the valve and seats were in bad need of regrinding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts