My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Chronic Newbie!
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently acquired a Gravely 816 with an Onan CCKA engine. The person who gave it to me said that over 10 years ago it stopped moving forward and reverse. He took it to an authorized Gravely dealer in our area and was told that it was the "internal forward/reverse clutch," and the charge would have been $1100, so he abandoned it.
The engine is shot from sitting outside for 10 years, but if the diagnosis by the dealer was correct, then what is the internal forward/reverse clutch? Is it actually gears inside the transmission, or is it the clutches bolted to the outside of the tranny? I really do not want to open the transmission up if I do not have to. Any ideas are most appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
HerbertK1,:MTF_wel:. Not sure to what the dealer was talking about.The only internal clutch I know of is the pto clutch. The dealer may have been talking about some other part in the trans and mistakenly called it a clutch.

I'm sure someone will be along to clarify your problem and let you know how to fix it. Good Luck!!!!!!!

·
Chronic Newbie!
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
I hope someone has some insight. I'd hate to open up the transmission if nothing is wrong with the inside. I've never done that before, and don't wanna start now.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
There is no internal forward/reverse clutch on an 816. Only one inside is the PTO clutch. To check without a running engine, place the tractor in one of the gears and High or Low range. Pushing it should show both clutches turning. Attempting to place in Forward or Reverse should cause the tractor to not roll or the engine to try to turn. It is possible that a key is sheared on the clutch hubs, but that doesn't cost a grand to fix.

·
Chronic Newbie!
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. It is a mystery for now. I called the dealer, who diagnosed it (10 years) ago. The guy on the phone said..."those don't have internal forward / reverse clutches". So, now my focus is seeing if I can get the engine running to see what is actually going on. Not sure if that will be possible though.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Thanks everyone. It is a mystery for now. I called the dealer, who diagnosed it (10 years) ago. The guy on the phone said..."those don't have internal forward / reverse clutches". So, now my focus is seeing if I can get the engine running to see what is actually going on. Not sure if that will be possible though.
May I put in a request for pictures? We LOVE pictures!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts