My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I start my 5240 and I don't keep my hand on the forward/reverse control it moves forward on its own. I don't see any adjustments to keep this from happening, but maybe I'm missing something obvious. Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find it in a search.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
The L and derivatives use a transmission which depends on double-sided cone clutches running in an oil bath. There's a lot of drag in there, so even when "disengaged" you get some coupling through the clutch.

The weight of the fwd/rev lever is enough to make the fwd clutch drag more than reverse.

It's usually described as creeping forward rather than lurching forward, but it's common for the machine to want to start moving when it's just sitting there running.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, definitely more a creep than a lurch, I edited the title. It's problematic when it's parked indoors and there's not something handy to have it creep into. I thought it might be a common problem, and hopefully a clever solution had already been figured out.

I've got an idea of my own, gonna have to put a little more thought into it and implement it before I get more time put in fixing damage I might cause than just fixing the problem....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If you adjust the fwd/rev clutch rod so that the lever you control stay flipped back over center when disengaged than it will stop the creep. If the pivot bushing on your fwd/rev lever is worn than that play can exacerbate the creep issue. Wiggle the lever and if you have a lot of side to side play than I would also look at replacing the bushing.

Rick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll give that a try. It makes sense since currently the lever falls forward and if I pull it back about half an inch it stops creeping.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I don't own one but, from my time spent on here reading, it's a very common occurrence.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
I think the solution is to simply sell me the 5240. I've wanted one for some time.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yes, definitely more a creep than a lurch, I edited the title. It's problematic when it's parked indoors and there's not something handy to have it creep into. I thought it might be a common problem, and hopefully a clever solution had already been figured out.

I've got an idea of my own, gonna have to put a little more thought into it and implement it before I get more time put in fixing damage I might cause than just fixing the problem....
It runs for long periods indoors? That doesn't sound good. Probably some wooden chock blocks is all it would take to stop it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It runs for long periods indoors? That doesn't sound good. Probably some wooden chock blocks is all it would take to stop it.

Not extended times, but if it's below freezing I'm not amped at opening the garage door until it's up and running, and by then it's headed for the door on its own. Good point though, putting a pair of chocks in front would stop it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts