My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. Saturday, I was using my Gravely 546 to push a little dirt. It was running great as always. After about 10 minutes it just shut down like turning off the key. At first it would start and idle but would die when I gave it the least bit of fuel. It has fuel and it has fire. I am not a master mechanic but have some knowledge. Would anyone have any suggestions where I might start? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Did it turn over easily with the starter after this happened, or was it turning over slower than normal or just barely?
Does it start if you let it sit and cool off?

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Clogged fuel line/filter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to turnover just as it always has. It sat from Saturday to Monday. Tried to start it Monday and it wouldn't even cough. Pulled the plug and it has fire. Fuel pump is delivering fuel.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
All I can suggest is to
-do a compression check
-maybe the carb is plugged
-maybe something has busted so the timing is off (either for the valves or the ignition

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Clogged/stuck needle valve? Jets filled with crud?

Try shooting a little carb cleaner in the inlet while cranking. Even if no fuel is making it to the carb, or everything is totally clogged such that nothing is getting into the cylinder, that should get some coughs and a few hits out of it.

If it tries on carb cleaner, and you're sure there's fuel getting to the carb, your next step is to pull the carb apart to see what's going on in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is getting stranger. I am not getting any power to the starter. I just replaced the starter solenoid with no change. I have also replaced the ignition switch. Nothing. I used a jumper directly to the starter and it cranks just fine. The fuse between the regulator and starter solenoid is good. Electrical is DEFINITELY not my strong suit. I am going to check all ground wires. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I'm confused.

Earlier in this thread, it sounded like the machine would run for a while, but then quit if you gave it any gas. You had other symptoms suggesting a fuel delivery problem. Now it sounds like we're talking about an electrical problem, getting power to the starter. Do you have both things going on?

If you're talking electrical problems, there are potentially a number of things to check. Does the 500 have operator presence switches? That's an obvious one, you can short those. Aside from that, check power in and out of the starter switch, power at solenoid etc.

If you're still having the fuel problem, it sounds like you can debug that separately, because it will crank when you jump the starter. As above, start with the basics: Compression, mixture, spark. If mixture seems to be the issue, try squirting a small amount of gas or carb cleaner into the intake while cranking. If that gets you some results, and you have fuel to the carb, you're pretty well assured that the problem is internal to the carb.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I hate electrical issues! The only other suggestion I could offer is to check to make sure you have good ground.

My L model would intermittently become starved for fuel and I believe it was random pieces of crud that would float around in the bowl until they found their way to the needle valve or some passage and cause things to go haywire. Things change inside a carb as it warms up...maybe you have it adjusted slightly too lean and it doesn't make much difference when its cold but starts to have an effect when it gets warm. Just a thought...

·
Legend in my own mind
210 Posts
Have the battery load tested. How old is the battery? The ignition is powered by the battery and if it isn't in good condition can cause the tractor to shut down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts