My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
B king,

The whole unit would fit a four hundred series tractor, but that is an early Swiftamatic with thrust spacers inside on the spider pin. The IPL for that one would look like this on page seven,

http://gravelytractorclub.org/images/PDFs/manuals/riding-tractors/400 series/424_430_432_IPL_To_SN_4211A_0269.pdf

If yours has the new style spider, then no you cannot use it as is; the inside will have to be machined to fit the new style spider.

The bright yellow lines in the teeth of the eBay photo are wear marks, and there is some wear on those teeth.

Roger,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What has to be machined on the older style ring gear to work with the newer spider gears? Are the Bearing hubs the same?

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
B king,

The sides of your Switamatic differential are the same as those in the eBay photo.

The inside of the bronze gear and spider on eBay would look like this, and probably have the same amount of wear,

Eureaka! 011.jpg

Here are two different style new spiders and the machined out bronze gear needed to accept the new style spider.

20110830_16.jpg

Click the photo to enlarge.

The new style spider will not fit into an old style bronze gear.

New Style Swiftamatic 003.jpg

Roger,

·
500 posts and climbing
543 Posts
Greetings from Northern Michigan,
I bought this tractor from Brad and would appreciate any help and or information to get it back on its feet.
This is my first non green tractor.
Thanks so much,
Jake

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Cold One,

No, that is a single speed differential. The spider pin of a two speed differential has to be able to rotate inside the bronze worm gear.

Jake, what did you buy? Pictures? Problem?

Roger,

·
Registered
476 Posts
Someone can chime in, would an 8 lead worm and worm gear fix it..would it be to fast?

gm1276 may have the 6 lead parts you need.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Jake,

A conversion to an 8 lead Swiftamatic is very doable, but is also a complete teardown to replace the lead worm.

That means engine off and advance casting off to access the lead worm.

Keep your special spider gears for the axle shafts, they are under cut on the inside to accommodate the inside keepers on the axle shafts. Those spider gears are the same size as any other Swiftamatic, but they just have a 'space' for the keepers.

You 'had' a new style six lead Swiftamatic, so you need a new style eight lead worm gear, the big bronze gear. I can sell you a good used eight lead bronze gear, but I do not have the eight lead worm assembly. There are many eight lead worms available on eBay or through the members here.

The worms are hardened steel gears, and unless something for sale is rusted out, almost any eight lead worm will work. You may have to swap some bearings, but you can use what is on your six lead worm assembly. You need a press to swap bearings.

I think we can get you back on the lawn, Roger

21 - 31 of 31 Posts