My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Diesel 260Z and pretty sure one of the spindles is shot as it wobbles and sounds “hollow” when blades engaged.
I’m looking at worse case scenario of spindle replacement and looking for aftermarket recommendations from people who have personal experience. Not trying to spend $200 each for OEM.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
I don't have personal experience with buying any spindles, as my "Pro" model mowers have bearings that are straightforward to replace, and I probably replace the bearings sooner than they absolutely had to be, and the "residential" one I have (Gravely ZT XL 42), where Gravely really wanted me to buy new spindles as a unit, my dad figured out how to take the spindle apart so just the bearings could be replaced, and I've replaced those bearings a couple of times.

I would suggest taking off the blade and pulley and seeing what the problem is, unless you've let it go way too long, you probably can get away with just new bearings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have personal experience with buying any spindles, as my "Pro" model mowers have bearings that are straightforward to replace, and I probably replace the bearings sooner than they absolutely had to be, and the "residential" one I have (Gravely ZT XL 42), where Gravely really wanted me to buy new spindles as a unit, my dad figured out how to take the spindle apart so just the bearings could be replaced, and I've replaced those bearings a couple of times.

I would suggest taking off the blade and pulley and seeing what the problem is, unless you've let it go way too long, you probably can get away with just new bearings.
Needs new spindles for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
How do I delete this thread?
I suspect an administrator can do that for you. Sorry you did not get the response you were looking for. Very few people on this GRAVELY forum are owners of zero turns or similar newer GRAVELY products, so most of us simply don't have an answer to your question.

My GRAVELY tractor is 25 years old and is one of the "newer" tractors among the regulars on this forum. And yes, the older GRAVELYS had spindles that are commonly rebuilt with new bearings, not replaced.

Sheldon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts