My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have my new mower/drive shaft on order. I want to make sure my front PTO is in good shape because I still don't know what caused my mower gear box fasteners to fail. Big vibration somewhere.

Front PTO is not in good shape. Mucho play, axial and lateral. Bearing "follower" flange on mower side is cracked. The actual bearing holder (the part that contains the brass bushing which the PTO tube rides in) looks ok. The bushings are worn causing play in the front axle, but this should not cause vibration in the mower drive system - just cause sloppy steering.

Question:

Does anyone here have a service manual which describes how to assemble the PTO? I assume the bearing "follower" flange should hold the bearing tight, ie squeeze it to eliminate all lateral/axial play. Therefore you should tighten the follower flange down before you lock the bearing collar in place. I assume the bearing locking collar is there to secure the bearing in place AFTER you bolt down the follower flange. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The reason your gear box fasteners failed is because of an engineering foul-up. There are 4 Tap-tight "bolts" with thin heads to clear the drive pulley installed through the deck and in to the bottom of the gear case. You need to install four 3/8-16 helicoils in the gear case, use high strength bolts, and then after everything is tight, grind enough off the heads to clear the drive pulley.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason your gear box fasteners failed is because of an engineering foul-up. There are 4 Tap-tight "bolts" with thin heads to clear the drive pulley installed through the deck and in to the bottom of the gear case. You need to install four 3/8-16 helicoils in the gear case, use high strength bolts, and then after everything is tight, grind enough off the heads to clear the drive pulley.
Too late for that but I appreciate the tip. Can you tell me anything about the assembly of the front PTO, specifically what I asked in my first post. Thanks.

The tap-tite bolts did hold for 18 years. The fasteners did not break. Both nuts backed-off the two thru bolts and all four tap-tites dropped out because the holes in the gear case post-holed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. I have my new mower/drive shaft on order. I want to make sure my front PTO is in good shape because I still don't know what caused my mower gear box fasteners to fail. Big vibration somewhere.

Front PTO is not in good shape. Mucho play, axial and lateral. Bearing "follower" flange on mower side is cracked. The actual bearing holder (the part that contains the brass bushing which the PTO tube rides in) looks ok. The bushings are worn causing play in the front axle, but this should not cause vibration in the mower drive system - just cause sloppy steering.

Question:

Does anyone here have a service manual which describes how to assemble the PTO? I assume the bearing "follower" flange should hold the bearing tight, ie squeeze it to eliminate all lateral/axial play. Therefore you should tighten the follower flange down before you lock the bearing collar in place. I assume the bearing locking collar is there to secure the bearing in place AFTER you bolt down the follower flange. Thanks alot.
Bump. Good news, I guess, that no one has had to work on their front PTO. Can anyone point me to another tractor DIY site where someone may have experience with this PTO design? Thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
link to ariens free manuals (owners, parts, & service) - if this helps
http://apache.ariens.com/cgibin/ctrg0005?SESSIONID=0.8213132047263072&Site=ARIENSS
I don't know the model # for a gt 18 off the top of my head, but use #931022 (gt14) ser # 1234 - it has the same front end (engine is the biggest difference) - if you do it right you will end up here - just use this link if it works
http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/000127A.pdf
these are free to download

Thanks. I was able to download the GT18 manual. It is model 931033. I am surprised at how sketchy the service manual is. However, it did answer my main question. If you don't know your serial number you can punch in 9999.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts