My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 814 I have a 12v jack. Considering back in 1973 they didn't have iPods, droids, blackberry's...etc..etc.. I can only assume that this jack was made for a cigarette lighter or am I wrong?

I know RJ Reynolds used to employ about 80 percent of the population in Winston Salem. I just figured that Gravely could have been feeding that crowd with this option and could have used it as a selling point. Basically going on the notion that if you work at Reynolds...well you smoke their cigarettes.

If it was a cigarette lighter...Has anyone actually seen the original lighter that went into the electrical jack?

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I can only assume that this jack was made for a cigarette lighter or am I wrong?

If it was a cigarette lighter...Has anyone actually seen the original lighter that went into the electrical jack?

If I recall correctly it was labeled a "Cigar Lighter". Back then sex was dirty, the air clean, and when people enjoyed nicotine, it was socially acceptable.

I had one on my 816 and it was pretty nondescript. There was no such thing as an International Symbol at that time so the knob was plain black.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured that Gravely would have placed their symbol on the push side of the lighter.

Maybe whenever I restore the mower I will have to get my wife to take a picture of me mowing the yard and smoking a cigar.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Our 424 had one that still worked (only the "Deluxe" model 424 came with headlights and a cigar lighter). The 816 I got last year had the outlet but no lighter. I've been looking for a modern 12V accessory outlet to put in its place. Don't really need to charge an iPod with it but it would be handy for some things. Heck, even a trickle charger with a 12V accessory plug.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if I put my phone charger in the socket it wouldn't charge my phone? I checked the voltage and it's pulling 12.46 volts.

On mine the cigar lighter and the lights are wired parallel with each other. I did get my lights to shine tonight. Even though I did spray WD 40 on the switch (which probably wasn't to smart) but I don't have to use vice grips to pull the switch up and down now.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
So if I put my phone charger in the socket it wouldn't charge my phone? I checked the voltage and it's pulling 12.46 volts.

On mine the cigar lighter and the lights are wired parallel with each other. I did get my lights to shine tonight. Even though I did spray WD 40 on the switch (which probably wasn't to smart) but I don't have to use vice grips to pull the switch up and down now.
It is a standard lighter receptacle. If you can plug it in to a car lighter, it will work the same.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
If it wasn't for the high draw, it might be nice to have for a plug-in magnetic work light. I've seen some some that look pretty nice, but don't think that the tractor charging system would be up to the task.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Sorry, this is the wrong color (I have a 24Gfor real grass mowing!).
but, when I got this tractor the taillight was broken.

I replaced the taillight with a 4 point trailer connector wired to the lighting circuit.

rear.jpg

I plug a 16 gallon electric sprayer into it. No more falling off battery clips.

And the light switch turns the pump on and off.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
How about using it to plug in that "bag phone" I still have in the garage?? The magnetic antenna would stick to the fender!

Now to figure out where to hang the bag phone........

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Where do you put the Sat phone antenna for a satellite bag phone/radio? The thing always needs pointed SW in the sky and is the size of two laptops on top of each other.

On the flip up lid antenna it carries a warning. DO NOT stand in front of antenna when transmitting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts