My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,034 Posts
They Do make a center blade for the X series, it's a 60".
View attachment 2497381
CCMoe this X series 60 Mid Mount Blade more then Likely would fit On and of 4x5 Models with 26X12 rears The frames are Not that different Between the 4X5 Models Mounting Holes Might be a Little different But the 40 Loader for the 4x5 will fit On the X400 thru X749 Models I Looked at Buying a X465 at One time the 45 Loader sub frame Interfered with cooling of the Air cooled Kawasaki supposedly was the reason I got But Deere Corporate Told me the 40 Loader would fit the X465. I had a 40 Loader at the time on a 425. But I ended Up Buying a X485 with a 45 loader Just for the greater Max capacity at Max lift height(didn't think or know about shimming the Valve at the time) Had just joined Tractor forums of any Kind In December 2002( Garden web Lawn & Garden tractor forum). I was looking at the X465 summer 2002 after I retired from the Army.

They Only reason the Mid Mount Blade was dropped after 2012 was the Lack of sales. Deere Offered a Mid Mount Blade either Under the Deere Name or aftermarket Until 1982 Many of the aftermarket Manufacturers that made mid mount Blades that Deere sold through the dealers had merged, Went away, or stopped Manufacturing Garden tractor attachments by the mid 1980's Wheel horse continued the Mid Mount Blade through the 1990's and early 2000's a few other Like Gravely and Ariens still offered a Mid Mount Blade Until the 1990's But again they just were Not Big sellers The rear Blades and Box scrapes really took over the Grading jobs the Mid Mount Blade could do and they were far faster to mount(y)

·
blinged out
1,420 Posts
I have an old section of harrows that I drag around. Then I flip it over to the flat side to smooth it out more. My gravel is road gravel that has filler in it.

View attachment 2496694
I believe we call that "A" gravel here with a mix of aggregate size.
I use a harrow like that on the beach for digging out small saplings that sprout up then turn it over for levelling! my driveway is 45yrs. worth of packed limestone,just like concrete! I'd likely need about 300lbs on a harrow to get those big teeth to dig in,if they did I likely couldn't pull it with x500! that's why I like the tiny snowmobile studs they dig down easy but not moving so much material that it's hard to pull!the first 3-4 passes doesn't look like it's doing anything but after about 10-15 laps I've got a couple inchs broke out!
since I've built my drag about 5yrs ago my driveway is getting better each yr. with less potholes appearing,digging down and redristributing the fines and larger aggregate really is the trick to getting things locked back together stopping pothole formation. no standing water in low spot is a big factor!
I can't see a mid mount blade working good on a short wheelbase machine for levelling. geometry just isn't right! the blade is still going to follow tire elevation changes almost equally!

·
Administrator
5,857 Posts
I believe we call that "A" gravel here with a mix of aggregate size.
I use a harrow like that on the beach for digging out small saplings that sprout up then turn it over for levelling! my driveway is 45yrs. worth of packed limestone,just like concrete! I'd likely need about 300lbs on a harrow to get those big teeth to dig in,if they did I likely couldn't pull it with x500! that's why I like the tiny snowmobile studs they dig down easy but not moving so much material that it's hard to pull!the first 3-4 passes doesn't look like it's doing anything but after about 10-15 laps I've got a couple inchs broke out!
since I've built my drag about 5yrs ago my driveway is getting better each yr. with less potholes appearing,digging down and redristributing the fines and larger aggregate really is the trick to getting things locked back together stopping pothole formation. no standing water in low spot is a big factor!
I can't see a mid mount blade working good on a short wheelbase machine for levelling. geometry just isn't right! the blade is still going to follow tire elevation changes almost equally!
I think when I ordered it, she called it "B" gravel. Said they use it on the roads. It packs down like limestone screenings, but still has rock in it. About 3/4 inch.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
They Do make a center blade for the X series, it's a 60".
View attachment 2497381
Do you have a model number for that?

CCMoe this X series 60 Mid Mount Blade more then Likely would fit On and of 4x5 Models with 26X12 rears The frames are Not that different Between the 4X5 Models Mounting Holes Might be a Little different But the 40 Loader for the 4x5 will fit On the X400 thru X749 Models I Looked at Buying a X465 at One time the 45 Loader sub frame Interfered with cooling of the Air cooled Kawasaki supposedly was the reason I got But Deere Corporate Told me the 40 Loader would fit the X465. I had a 40 Loader at the time on a 425. But I ended Up Buying a X485 with a 45 loader Just for the greater Max capacity at Max lift height(didn't think or know about shimming the Valve at the time) Had just joined Tractor forums of any Kind In December 2002( Garden web Lawn & Garden tractor forum). I was looking at the X465 summer 2002 after I retired from the Army.

They Only reason the Mid Mount Blade was dropped after 2012 was the Lack of sales. Deere Offered a Mid Mount Blade either Under the Deere Name or aftermarket Until 1982 Many of the aftermarket Manufacturers that made mid mount Blades that Deere sold through the dealers had merged, Went away, or stopped Manufacturing Garden tractor attachments by the mid 1980's Wheel horse continued the Mid Mount Blade through the 1990's and early 2000's a few other Like Gravely and Ariens still offered a Mid Mount Blade Until the 1990's But again they just were Not Big sellers The rear Blades and Box scrapes really took over the Grading jobs the Mid Mount Blade could do and they were far faster to mount(y)
Sargeant,

Do you recall any of the manufacturers of that time.

My main objective is leveling off some gravel cart paths on the local golf course. We do a lot of volunteer maintenance to keep costs down.

What kind of money did these bring, I would think less than a front blade, not nearly as much in components.

CCMoe

·
Registered
145 Posts
How about a tow behind box blade? Neil Koch has a couple of videos in which he uses it, and also a video explaining the way it's built. It seems pretty good for what it's meant to do:

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Super Moderator
17,034 Posts
Do you have a model number for that?

Sargeant,

Do you recall any of the manufacturers of that time.

My main objective is leveling off some gravel cart paths on the local golf course. We do a lot of volunteer maintenance to keep costs down.

What kind of money did these bring, I would think less than a front blade, not nearly as much in components.

CCMoe
Johnson Made a Mid Mount Blade for Deere and. I think Brantly did as well (y)

·
Banker / hobby farmer
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How about a tow behind box blade? Neil Koch has a couple of videos in which he uses it, and also a video explaining the way it's built. It seems pretty good for what it's meant to do:
I do like his vids. He has stated that he is no longer manufacturing his pull behind hydraulic box blades, just didn't make any sense for him to do so financially anymore for the amount of time and effort that goes into. I would love to own one like his though, I think it would be just about perfect for my needs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, that's what he explained in the instructional video for building one.
I would say that with a bit of time or help from someone with skills, it can easily be done.

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Would not even need to be that size. Like in use what you have and make the rest. I liked the idea but personal would make some more modifications.

·
Registered
765 Posts
For my gravel driveway and access road, I've always used 5/8ths minus. Looks good and is easy to work. For equipment I get by with a garden tractor and was using a pull behind box blade from Brinly.

I am more inclined these days to use a center mount grader blade but I still need something to loosen the rock. I am now investigating the DR Power grader tools.

Many sizes and features are available or you can simply buy a tooth bar and fabricate something of your own.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have heard mixed reviews on the DR. I thought about it, but it seems overpriced. Have you seen this?

I don't think either of them would do as good of a job as my grading scraper, but then they don't cost anywhere near as much for the tool (let alone the cost of the tractor to pull it).

I guess it depends on how hard packed the gravel is and how much time/patience you have for the job.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts