My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Let me get this right. You are going to repower the tractor in the pictures and video with a honda?
No my last 8122 I repowered with a Honda GX670. I have decided on this one I am going to run the Subaru Robins.

About the lift able hitch it manual lift so no hitch. I am going to ad assist springs and keep it as is.

About the whole honda, onan or what ever motor is the same ford or Chevy debate. Like said my tractor my engine. If you don't like it don't follow it. Lol.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
First pic is of Bruce adapter kit to use a Robins engine with a kohler adapter plate. Second is Bruce engine adapter for a Robins if you don't have a kohler adapter plate. And the last pic is of a 28hp Subaru Robins on his adapter going into a tractor.
I'm not a fan of any one brand of engine, I just like smooth running ones. But I have to ask, what are you needing to accomplish with a 28 hp Subaru engine?

And also, what does weight of the motor have to do with anything? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don't need a 28 if you read I am going with the 25hp. I was merely showing the adapter on back of a Robins. Also the weight is a bonus it's a pain in the butt to change engines

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Well like you said, your tractor do with it what you want. I'll be watching, particularly after the fine job you did on the last one.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
For a Gravely rider, I'm actually in favor of as much weight as I can get on the rear-end. On the Subaru Robin EH series, it is worth noting that these are actually an Onan OHV design, starting with the EH64.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I put the engine back together. I am missing the rubber boot from the shroud to air breather, not a problem since it's a repower. I also pulled the engine. I am very happy to see I have the gear for the hydro just in case I decide to go that route. Everything checks out so I move on. I will be removing the clutch assembly on both sides and remove dash tower and steering wheel. I will pressure wash it this week and start the fun project of preparation to paint.

Also I want to note that sorry if I am coming across upset. I respect your opinions, and I will need your help as I go but this is a repower resto mod not a restoration. To me a new updated motor is like putting a LS6 into a nova instead of a bbc. It's lighter, more power, and better fuel economy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok, boys and girls the important measurement. Dead on from adapter plate to input gear is 3 7/16

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
That is the exact measurement of the engine being removed and must be matched on the new engine in order for the engine drive gear to mesh properly with the transmission gear.

If it is off - even a little there will be anything from an annoying whine to a screeching when the engine engages. Shims are often used.

For best results the gear off the old engine is used on the new engine, since they have already synced up - so to speak, after years of working together.

My 8183 was re-powered before i got it and that whine is part of life with it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts