My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got a grasshopper I am working on and when it's cold it will crank and crank and crank but wont start. But if I give it a shot of ether it will fire right up and run that's the only way it'll start cold. The carb is clean and all the gaskets are in good shape and the valves are set correctly. It's got me stumped. It doesn't smoke and has very little blow by

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Is your choke plate fully closing? Also you may want to add a primer bulb in the fuel line and pump it up tight before starting. It sounds to me like you arent getting fuel until the engine starts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you checked your air filter and intake to make sure it isn’t blocked? You could also have a fuel line broke, not letting any gas get the carb at all.

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
I would check that the choke plate is fully closing.

This was the primary reason why my Kohler CV22 wasn't starting in cold weather (water would condense in the carb, and freeze right by the choke plate. And since it was spring loaded in that direction (closing the plate), the ice would stop it from closing all the way. I learned to close the choke when I turned the engine off during the winter, and it would fire right up if I did this (and I could open the choke no problem, as it's not spring-loaded in that direction, and I could force it through that little bit of ice via the choke control).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts