My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been debating drilling a small hole large enough to stick the air nozzle of the air compressor through the side of the pulley covers because of all the grass that gets dragged in. That way you could blow the grass out the same way it got in. Right now you have to take the covers off to remove the debris.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I removed the covers after 2 mowings. Still get debris under the pulleys but easy to remove. Yes. Safety issue. My bad... :banghead3

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
My problem is that twigs and small sticks get up there and stay there until the cover is removed. I wish they had a cover that could be removed more easy instead of removing the nuts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My problem is that twigs and small sticks get up there and stay there until the cover is removed. I wish they had a cover that could be removed more easy instead of removing the nuts.
I dont have a Belly Mower for my 2305 but I do have a JD 950a ZTR mower and it comes with a plastic Pulley cover that has a clip which makes the cover easy to remove and replace.
Wonder if the ones used for the ZTR could be used for the Belly mowers.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I use 4 washers under the covers on each bolt. Stuff blows out really easy. slkpk

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
JD took care of this issue with the 72" deck. The covers are metal and held on with latches. Covers come off in seconds. You can see the latches in the picture.

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
You may have been the source for this idea. I do the same thing and the nozzle from my air gun works all the way around the cover.

I use 4 washers under the covers on each bolt. Stuff blows out really easy. slkpk

·
Registered
451 Posts
I removed the covers on my 62, and I realize it's a safety issue. After reading some of the fixes in the above posts, I'm going to rig up some "quick-detach" arrangements on mine, and get them back on.

Blowing out debris: I used to use my air compressor, but I found that the "blow" feature on my big shop-vac worked a LOT better. But instead of dragging that out each time I mowed, I found a cheap 2-gallon vac on sale at the local big-box store, and use that exclusively for blowing out the mower deck, floor bards, radiator, etc. Quick, simple, and inexpensive ($20). I put some duct-tape on the end of the hose to avoid scratches.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

SLPK you are "Da Man". I am going to try that first.:thanku:

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
SLPK you are "Da Man". I am going to try that first.:thanku:

:ditto:I liked the way the deck cover is set up on SwiftDeeres and FreshPopcorns zero turn mowers and tractors. I am going to try SLKPK's
plan and see if that works.:fing32:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Guys,
This might sound dumb, but I have not taken my covers off this year until I read this post and they're pretty much wide open & clean. I use a leaf blower after avery mowing so maybe that helps. The washer idea does sound like a good idea though.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys,
This might sound dumb, but I have not taken my covers off this year until I read this post and they're pretty much wide open & clean. I use a leaf blower after avery mowing so maybe that helps. The washer idea does sound like a good idea though.
I think you are going to find grass packed around the pulleys and under the covers. I know some use leaf blowers to clean, but 125 PSI air blows pretty good too.:bananapow

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I use a blower vac or compressed air, depending on which one is closest. Definitely going to try slipk's washer idea.

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
If my 2210 doesn't sell this week i will be doing that so i am ready for next years mowing season (9 months away :thSick: ).. Thanks SLKPK :thThumbsU
I'm normally done late Nov and start up again in late March to April. slkpk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I made an air gun using a 3' piece of 1/4" galvanized pipe. It works good to blow the grass (and dust) off the entire tractor. It works great to reach up under the deck and the hydralic cooling fan. I do like your washer idea, and may try it myself.:thanku: --vikes31-- 2010 JD 2305, 54"mmm, 49"fel, r4's, 42" befco tiller :greendr:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Another vote for the washers here! I didn't replace the original bolts so I can only get 3 in there. Works fine with either blower or compressed air... Now the problem becomes how to replace the shoddy, crappy, poorly thought out, chintzy-ly made flap doodle "guard" for the PowerFlow pulley cover. No metal on metal parts here, just a cheap-o slot and a steel rod... It's gonna be nekkid for a while since it flew into the main deck belt when it left the deck. Just another case of JD cheaping out on design on an otherwise strong and well built machine.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did the washer thing yesterday so we'll see how well it works. BTW it is amazing how packed the grass get around the pulley's when the belt pulls it in. Even 125 PSI didn't dislodge some of it.

The 2 carriage bolts on the left side of the deck didn't have those little "Keepers" to hold the bolts in place when the nut is taken off.:banghead3

1 - 20 of 26 Posts