My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
My local garden center/JD dealer/ super food store (Adams' Fairacre Farms) has a house brand of "shade and sun" mixture that works pretty well here in "Claydirtville, NY":D. I ve also used a similar product from Jonathan Green brand with good results. The answer to grass planting is "preparation" and "follow-up" with the emphasis on "water".:D

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,573 Posts
I'm currently trying the "recommend" blend from a quality local garden center. I'm also trying Scott's seed with their "water saver" formula just to see how it works. In the past I've had the best luck with a Tractor Supply brand.
I just used the Scotts to patch an area that had been dug up. I'll have to wait a week or so to see the results. :)

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
My personal favorite and I've tried alot, is Agway Landscaper's mix. Fastest germination and thick green grass every year. I seeded a narrow patch where my front walk was replaced and it sprouted in 3 days! Just bought some more last night, great thing is they sell it by the pound near where I live so if you only need a little, makes it nice.
I bought a 40 lb bag last fall to see where i hade 2 trees/stumps removed. Those areas are fully covered and have mowed 6+ times this year already. I planted the seed this spring.

MU

·
The Missing Goonie
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My personal favorite and I've tried alot, is Agway Landscaper's mix. Fastest germination and thick green grass every year. I seeded a narrow patch where my front walk was replaced and it sprouted in 3 days! Just bought some more last night, great thing is they sell it by the pound near where I live so if you only need a little, makes it nice.
I bought a 40 lb bag last fall to see where i hade 2 trees/stumps removed. Those areas are fully covered and have mowed 6+ times this year already. I planted the seed this spring.

I would like to give them a try, but the closes store is 74miles away.

·
The Missing Goonie
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just for a fallow up I used a mix of the Scott's seed with water guard, about 20lbs of "the good stuff" from a local nursery, and some left over seed my dad had from TSC. Mixed it up and put it down. It turned out very well and the area seeded seems to have really taken off and is fuller then I was expecting.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Scotts products are pretty good. But they tend to be too expensive. In Illinois, FS (Farm Supply) sells individual grass seed varieties, so you can mix your own blend.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ive had good luck with pennington i think thats the name of it anyhow its rather expensive but i use a few different kinds of it one for the sunny parts and the dense shade one for under my trees and another one that the name escaped me right at the moment but works good for high traffic areas and i have 3 dogs that i put in one place in the yard and it has held up very well I just started redoing parts of my yard and with almost 2 acres and just me doing it its a big project so i wont take pics yet to save on the embarrasment of how bad most of it still looks but lets just say that most of whats green in my yard is weeds and i have a 40'x50' spot that the weeds wont even grow its so compacted and shaded lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts