My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what approximate time of year in your region/state do you stop mowing your lawn, picking up leafs and thinking about attaching your snow blower??

My time is coming up in a week or so. :thThumbsU

Cheers!

·
Registered
246 Posts
We're about the same here in central Indiana.

It's been a mild weekend and the grass really isn't growing much more. I imagine I have one more legitimate mow and one more mow that is a shorter cut in winter prep and I'll pull the deck off and put the blower on for the first time.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Right about now. :crybaby:

Trying to get a last cutting in just to make it look as nice as possible in case we get some warmer days in November and it grows some more.

But....there is snow in the forecast for tomorrow and this weekend.

With my old Cub Cadet, putting the blower on was a major ordeal. With my 455, it's going to be much easier. So in theory, I could take the blower off and put the deck back on in 30 minutes or thereabouts, so I could always mow to clean up after a warm spell. Of course, I'd rather not.

Dropping her off at the dealership for a once over/scheduled maintenance beginning of next week. Only doing this because it was new to me in May, and I want JD to make sure it's all in spec.

Then on goes the cab and the blower, for the next 6 or 7 long, dark months.

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Here in SWNY, I mowed the back 2 acres for the last time on Sunday. We have hardly a leaf on the ground back there. The front acre I will continue to mow with the 185 and bagger. I like to put the chopped up leaves in the garden, so as long as there are some on the ground, I'll keep after them. As for the blower, it usually gets put on the night before a bigger snow is predicted, and usually involves me in the barn after dark hurrying to get it on and not wanting to admit to myself that winter is coming! Then I make room in the garage and move the tractor and blower into it for the winter, parked between our two vehicles.

·
Premium Member
31,653 Posts
The grass is still growing, the leaves are green and there is snow in the forecast. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
258 Posts
This time of year is always a guessing game for us. We have LOTS of trees on our property so I always hold off converting the tractor to winter mode as long as I can. We have some BIG Oak trees that drop late and I try to hold off the winter conversion until they drop.
Doing that, I have had several "caught with the pants down" moments!

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
This pic was taken 3 days ago, both tree each side of this one don't have leaf anymore.

I cut the lawn I think for the last time that Sunday, it's 5 degrees Celsius (41 F) right now.

Normaly we have snow around mid November.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm still picking leaves but the grass has stopped growing. I did my last cutting a week ago, and I figure I'll pick leaves at least two more times before they all fall. (The Oaks are still hanging on) Forcast is for a chance of snow early next week but we'll see how accurate that is.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Deere dealer is coming on the 14th to deliver and install my winter setup so my last time in summer setup will be the 13th
Todd

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
We have a chance of snow forcast for tonight!:swow:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Ill be spreading some straw on the garden, gathering leaves and putting them on the garden, then I'll till it all down.

It looks like this afternoon I'll start it, and there calling for some snow (slush) tonight.

I really like this weather, kind of cold, reminds me of deer hunting, I just like being out in it, and picking up qiute a few leaves by hand is good for a 70 year old body, keeps me in shape as long as I don't overdo it.

Always need to leave a picture, heres the leaf hauler I made last year,this baby will haul a ton of leaves.

Rob

·
Registered
114 Posts
Blower is on the LX 178, still have the deck on the 214 for chopping up leaves although not many left. Blower will go on the 214 in a week or so, looks like it will be an easy hookup. In the meantime off on the side of the garage is a 444 Case, few pieces coming from MTF member Brian Hildreth at Salem Power Equipment and that one will be ready to run. Never tried a Case before, understand they're a different breed of cat.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I live completly in the woods so fall comes sooner...

No lawn to mow so no problem there.

Leaf cleanup 2x (sometimes 3x a day) a day from Sep 15 ~Nov 7

Blower goes on Nov 8 or sooner if we get that real early blowable snow!

won't be long now :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
One thing about being retired, I don't have to get out, we can hole up in here for several days, so I'm never in a hurry to put a blower on, plus I have some backup. A 10 horse Toro.

I also use this out on the edge of the street when theres salt and sand from the city trucks, that way I can keep the x728 out of it.

It pretty much looks like this summer and winter.:hide:

Rob

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's getting pretty darn close here in Pittsburgh. I believe they said snow is possible tomorrow or Friday night. I don't expect any accumulation though, just the wet stuff that chills you to the bone.

Since it only takes a few minutes to attach the blade to my 445, I'll probably wait a few weeks, until the snow has potential to stick. I'm pretty sure that I'll need to pick up leaves at least once more (weather permitting!) before the real snow hits.

·
4 acres of fun!
138 Posts
Mowing is done, as the grass stopped growing due to lack of rain since August. Some leaves are still hanging, but I will use my little JD JX-75 to chop and bag them up for future tilling in the garden.

I always shoot for Halloween to get the snow equipment ready, even if it is not used for a couple of weeks. I still remember the super storm on Halloween of 1991, which I was not ready for.

As my X724 is new to me a few weeks ago, my JD dealer is picking it up today to mount the 47 DS blower on it. :trink40:

·
Premium Member
9,785 Posts
My Ariens 1128 walk behind is always on station for emergencies (like maybe Friday!). The red oaks haven't even thought about shedding their leaves yet. That will happen the first half of November. There are so many of those that they have to be bagged up and composted, so the two stage blower won't go on the Craftsman until at least the 3rd week of November.

Maybe I'll try and attach the snowblower and chains to my newest acquisition, the MTD 990. It looks pretty complicated, but I'll have D-dogg's Youtube videos to help!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts