My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right forum to post this. If not, please feel free to move it.

I have blue rug junipers in various landscaped areas. Grass grows in and among the plants. I am tired of pulling it by hand and usually do not get the roots anyway. Weed B Gone won't kill grass and I believe Roundup will kill the junipers. I bought Ortho Grass B Gone which is for use around landscape plants. After closely reading the label I noticed it says "Do not spray directly on junipers". Has anyone found a spray, even organic, that will kill the grass w/o harming the junipers? :banghead3

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I have 100' of mature junipers that cover a steep bank down to the road from the front yard. I just finished pulling maple saplings out the edges and noticed Virginia creeper and poison ivy also growing up through. My worst problem was a few walnut trees that just wouldn't die. I had to keep cutting them back to the roots which caused the need to "wade" out to where they were growing. I gave up trying to keep the morning glory vines off and just let them bloom. The bees in there hated me! I'll be following this thread!

Attachments

·
14,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:bump9: Sorry about the bump but I guess there aren't too many people who have had this problem. The post disappears quickly w/o inputs. If anyone has had experience with this we would appreciate any help. :thanku:

·
14,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are low growing rug junipers. They fill an area similar to ground cover. There is some open space between plants and the grass fills in every open space. Can't easily lift the juniper branches and spray grass between them because the branches send down roots at intervals. :Disgus:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Is "mulching" between the plants feasable until they fill in? Grass clippings 3"-4" deep keep EVERYTHING weedy from growing around my place. Flower beds and my container plants all get the grass mulch as needed. It will last all season and if something gets through it I pile on more clippings.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
We have experienced much the same with our pachysandra ground covers, but mostly in sunny places. Where the pachysandra gets lots of shade, we seem to have no problems. Is this your experience with the Junipers too? :)

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I have the identical situation as AP. Blue Rug junipers with a lot of grass.

I am seriously considering spraying with one gallon of white vinegar with a tablespoon or so of dish soap in the mix on a test area to see if it will hurt the junipers. I know it will work on the grass, I just don't want to hurt the junipers.

I'll take the plunge, give it a try and report back. I will also do my best to get some before and after pics as well.

·
14,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me, mulching around the junipers would not be practical. I bought Ortho Grass Killer. It is for spraying around landscape plants except it says "do not spray directly on junipers". :fing20: I sprayed it on one area anyway. It didn't seem to hurt the junipers but it didn't kill the grass either.:banghead3
I haven't experienced the problem with pachysandra. dj2cohen, please do let us know how the vinegar works.

·
22,321 Posts
I will. I think that I am going to try some out in the next evening or two. My situation is identical to yours AP. Blue rugs and grass.

Hind sight is always perfect, but looking back, I don't think that I would have planted the junipers if I had know about columbines. I got one years ago when Gurney's seed catalog would give you a 'surprise' with each order. Maybe they still do, I don't know.

Anyway, they sent me a bare root columbine with an order about 15 to 18 years ago. They spread like wildfire and are absolutely beautiful! The root resembles ginseng. I now have them coming up everywhere and in several different colors too.

They are starting to come up in the area with the junipers. I think that I am going to just let them start filling in the area just to break it up and bring in the color. The columbines are considerably taller than the junipers, but who knows, they may ending up looking great together.

I will try the vinegar on the grass and post some results soon.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
I hope this is the right forum to post this. If not, please feel free to move it.

I have blue rug junipers in various landscaped areas. Grass grows in and among the plants. I am tired of pulling it by hand and usually do not get the roots anyway. Weed B Gone won't kill grass and I believe Roundup will kill the junipers. I bought Ortho Grass B Gone which is for use around landscape plants. After closely reading the label I noticed it says "Do not spray directly on junipers". Has anyone found a spray, even organic, that will kill the grass w/o harming the junipers? :banghead3
The simpler solution would be to purchase a material called Landscape cloth and after pulling out a number of the grasses, preferably with the roots, lay the cloth on the ground between the Juniper and the soil. Landscape cloth is a woven polyester that allows water to penetrate, but stops the growth of roots and plant shoots. Average cost is about $3-4 per yard for a 48" wide cloth. And then cover the cloth with mulch, at least 3 inches deep (but don't pile up mulch over the plants' crowns)

·
14,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would you believe we have landscape cloth in place already? The grass is growing over the top of the cloth and the roots go down through it. :fing20:

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
The simpler solution would be to purchase a material called Landscape cloth and after pulling out a number of the grasses, preferably with the roots, lay the cloth on the ground between the Juniper and the soil. Landscape cloth is a woven polyester that allows water to penetrate, but stops the growth of roots and plant shoots. Average cost is about $3-4 per yard for a 48" wide cloth. And then cover the cloth with mulch, at least 3 inches deep (but don't pile up mulch over the plants' crowns)
Landscape cloth is the last . . . I repeat the last . . . thing you should ever consider putting into your beds. It works for a while, but when the weeds establish themselves, they will root into the mesh. When you pull them out, you will pull the mesh up through the mulch cover. We have a few acres of this and wish we had never put the #$%$%^*^^* stuff down! :(

·
22,321 Posts
AMEN JD! I used that blasted stuff in my small landscape beds by my front porch. Worst mistake that I have ever made, as far as a garden is concerned anyway.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Landscape cloth is the last . . . I repeat the last . . . thing you should ever consider putting into your beds. It works for a while, but when the weeds establish themselves, they will root into the mesh. When you pull them out, you will pull the mesh up through the mulch cover. We have a few acres of this and wish we had never put the #$%$%^*^^* stuff down! :(
You need to have followed up and continue to folllow up with the mulch cover...It is the continued mulch placement that keeps the weeds from getting established...

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
You need to have followed up and continue to folllow up with the mulch cover...It is the continued mulch placement that keeps the weeds from getting established...
Nope, we put down over 40 yards of new mulch each year.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Nope, we put down over 40 yards of new mulch each year.
You do have persistent weeds to punch thru the fabric and 3" layer of mulch...:(

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
You do have persistent weeds to punch thru the fabric and 3" layer of mulch...:(
It's not just me; all my neighbors are cursing their decision to use landscape matting. :(

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I hate the fabric type matting roots grow right down through it and it's heck
getting them out. I think multiple layers of newspaper work better, yes it will
finally rot away but by then you usually have a pretty good mulch base built up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts