My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I would like to know what some landscapers are charging for cutting grass. I would like to know how much by increments of square footage or some measurement system. thanks

·
Janitor at Large
5,616 Posts
I am retired and am doing this for a bit of extra money.......not professionally. The going rate around here I found is $25/hr....using my equipment.......I am sure any pro landscaper is going to call me many names as I may be undercutting their rates.....but, such is life.

I would be interested to know the going rates in different areas. From what I am told, it all depends on location.....inner city would be much higher than the boonies where I live.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Round here, 200'X200' lots w/buildings on them are $40 a shot. I just quit 2 "accounts" I was getting $5 for. Done with both PIAs finally!:D

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I'm not yet retired, but still do a few lawns in evenings and on weekends for extra cash. I advertise to do "onesies", such as taking care of a lawn while the family is on vacation. I guestimate a flat fee based on $40/hr in the driveway to out of it, includes mowing and edging. I have a couple of regular lawns that I do for some elderly church members in poor health. $35 flat fee for each mowing, and trim every third mowing. If that sounds like much or not, these lawns are over two acres each. I manage to pay for my fuel and maintenance, and an extra payment a month.

I'll never get rich this way.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
i cut the yard for my mom the other day, that is the only residential lot i do besides my own, and charged her a steak dinner by the pool. i was gonna cook them on teh grill but she ended up not having any steaks though she swore she just bought some. so instead we ordered some from a local place and had time to relax in teh pool before they were ready.

around here the guys that push a mower down the street charge 25.00 for an davg sized 75x75 lot. this is mow only. guys in a truck charge 35.00 for the same sized but they also weedeat and blow it off. pros charge close to 50.00, but tend to stay out of most older neighborhoods.

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
622 Posts
I just started doing this last year to help a neighbor out who lost her husband. She decided on paying me $45/hr since the professional landscapers charged her $65/hr. I would have done it for free for her, however, she told a few of her friends and now I take care of 3 properties (acreages) and they all pay me $45/hr. These are large properties 3+ acres, with the largest just over 6 but mowable is around 5 acres.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I try to figure it by time and charge $1 per minute, curb time. trim, edge, and blow figures in. it's alot more than time on the mower, as most properties will require as much time doing those I listed as on the mower. It does take a little time to figure out how productive you are with your equipment to get this way down pat though.

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
I try to figure it by time and charge $1 per minute, curb time. trim, edge, and blow figures in. it's alot more than time on the mower, as most properties will require as much time doing those I listed as on the mower. It does take a little time to figure out how productive you are with your equipment to get this way down pat though.

Ditto here too, $1 a minute from unloaded to reloaded and on to the next one!

Dan

·
Landscaper
153 Posts
Hi, I don't think it's really that easy to put a price per square foot on jobs. As all lawns grow at different rates depending on soil type, fertilisers used, 'traffic' on the lawn (kids playing etc.), amount of weeds and other non-grass species within the lawn and so on.

You've got to get a feel for it when you're out quoting and know how fast your machines will work on those lawns and how much they cost to run. Like my ride-on mower probably costs 7-10/hr more to run with a larger fuel consumption and maintenance bill than one of my smaller push mowers...all got to be included in the quotes

for example, a perfectly rectangular lawn is going to take far less time to do than the same size lawn with lots of fancy curvy edges and trees to dodge your mower around, especially it you're using a ride-on.

Another thing to look out for is clover in the grass, not only does this tend to clogg mower chutes up like nobodys business but as it's a legume (has nitrogen fixing bacteria in it's roots), it'll make the grass really grow wherever it is...again making it take much longer to do a lawn, you'd want to charge more per square foot is it's lush green lawn with clover in it.

One more thing...mulching or collecting?...I can probably get round a lawn in 20-30% less time if i'm zipping over it with a mulcher, rather than working at a slower rate to allow all grass to be collected and then emptying it every few strips of lawn...and if you're paying to get rid of your green waste...its another thing to think about before advertising a price per square foot.

Hope that's helpfull, just a few things I've learnt to look out for over the years.

Dave

·
Registered
592 Posts
Eastren Shore Md. I cut 6 yds. weekly and 1 more every 3rd. week. 5 of the yards are for elderly women "mother in law included". 24 miles travel "out my drive and back", lucky for me have 2 side by side yds. -4 yds. 2 stops. Average $40 each cut, trim, blow and maybe 1 or to very minor tasks (back to (MIL). Used to do this for beer money but after going in business for myself this now called income. 3rd. week yard is cash. Old habits die hard. Also has more travel involved.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi I would like to know what some landscapers are charging for cutting grass. I would like to know how much by increments of square footage or some measurement system. thanks
Basically you charge what the market will bear. Different areas will have different pricing.

I own a commercial mowing service/landscape co. and i will tell you that the size of the yard matters little compared to how much trim work the property contains. IMO you should charge according to how much time you estimate it will take to do the job.

Just remember that the cost of equipment and maintence of such will always exceed your projections. Also consider the risk factor. What if you break someones window?

I broke 2 windows in 2 days earlier this year, one in a car and one in a house. I am also accused of chipping a windshield at an apt complex I do. Kinda strange really, as I haven't broken any glass in over ten years.

You have to figure in the risk factor, and cost factor, or you will work for free. That happened to me for a while,lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I own lots of equipment, everything except a gas leaf blower, which I will be getting soon,the equipment will be a 5hp briggs toro recycler mulcher/rear bagger, an old self propelled lawnboy, side discharge, a 7229 lawnboy, a stihl fs56 with an option of straight or curved shaft, a newer model homelite trimmer. Note: this isn't all the equipment I own so, if something breaks, I will replace it with something else. How do you end up breaking windows? Are you talking about the basement house windows?

·
Landscaper
153 Posts
Had a couple of window incidents myself too...both involving small stones in the grass which wern't visible when doing a quick pre-work check.

First stone found its way through a brand new Jaguar S-type rear window and the second one, 2 weeks later straight through a double glazed conservatory window. Though these were both settled with an appology and cash, got to make sure you've got your full personal and public liability insuranc in place incase the clients get funny about these typa accidents.

Easy to do, gotta be carfull when using the grass strimmer.
Also had a few things shoot out from mower decks, *touch wood* not smashed anything with that yet though...

·
Registered
660 Posts
You all are making great money. Here in California you can get kids and mexicans to mow or $50 per month. That equals 4.4 weeks per month for a lot that is 75 by 125One collage kid mows for $15 per week and edges and blows it every time. That is front and back with side walks drive ways and pattio's with side yard walk ways. Weeding a lot more. The comercial landscapers do not get anywhere near what you all are charging. I am not saying they do not get it in the very high end but the average home here does not pay that. Mexican labor is so cheap you can not compete.

·
Landscaper
153 Posts
i'd say all the prices up there are pretty average to be honest, I mean it's not like earning pocket money when i was a kid where i got to keep every penny i made using mum n dads kit......running an established business, what money comes in one hand soon goes out the other :(

Can't really see how anyone can afford to charge much less than those rates when there's rent to pay on premisis for storing tools, insurance, commercial training courses and licences to achieve...and repairing the machines and vehicles, as well as investing in other kit....and if that's not enough, a % of all profits going to mr. tax man!! lol

Still, fair play to anyone who can provide a professional service at better prices and still take home a half decent salary :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts