My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Husqvarna TS 348XD and use it to mow up lots of grass (normal pretty green stuff) as well as collecting leaves and then a bit of brush hogging on our 10 acres. I didn't want to sled pull our entire driveway of leaves again so bought a 3 bag grass catcher for it and it's a cumbersome bugger to get on but gets the job done. HOWEVER, the hard tube that goes between the deck attachment and the bagger housing seems to slip out of the housing way too often and ends up spraying the clippings and leaves all over. That'd be OK if it happened infrequently, but it's a multiple times per ride thing. I'm fed up.

So, anyone replace their tubing between their grass catcher deck attachment and the bagger housing with the flexible tubing and find a lot of happiness with that? What did you get and where did you get it from? Any lessons learned you can share? I'm open to suggestions or whatever you can share of your experience

my mower:
TS 348XD.jpg

example tubing I'm talking about

·
Professional Homeowner
7,604 Posts
I’ve had the issue you’re having with a different machine. The solution in my case was to adjust the part that attaches to the deck (called the “boot”). I basically pointed it toward the opening in the bagger a little better so the aux tube up to the bagger “hood” had a shorter and more direct path. It was a matter of loosening the boot mounting bolts, shifting it a little, and re-tightening them. Same could potentially be done to adjust the hood side to side (or adjust/bend the hood’s mounting brackets). Also you might be able to use some sort of spacer so the aux tube doesn’t slide onto the deck boot quite as far, gaining maybe 1/2” or a full inch of engagement into the hood.

I’m also a fan of a tow behind bagger system, such as the Cyclone Rake or Trac-Vac type systems, especially in larger areas. Might get heavy when just sucking green grass, though.
Good luck and welcome to MTF!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve had the issue you’re having with a different machine. The solution in my case was to adjust the part that attaches to the deck (called the “boot”). I basically pointed it toward the opening in the bagger a little better so the aux tube up to the bagger “hood” had a shorter and more direct path. It was a matter of loosening the boot mounting bolts, shifting it a little, and re-tightening them. Same could potentially be done to adjust the hood side to side (or adjust/bend the hood’s mounting brackets). Also you might be able to use some sort of spacer so the aux tube doesn’t slide onto the deck boot quite as far, gaining maybe 1/2” or a full inch of engagement into the hood.

I’m also a fan of a tow behind bagger system, such as the Cyclone Rake or Trac-Vac type systems, especially in larger areas. Might get heavy when just sucking green grass, though.
Good luck and welcome to MTF!
I thought about a tow behind, but wanted the ability to back up. However, at this point I'd take the tow behind since I'm gathering so many leaves and this 3 bag system fills up quick with that.

Thanks for the thoughts on the distance altering. I'll see what I can do in regards to that, and yes, my replacement of the tube was essentially to gain an additional inch or so into the bagger hood, so I'll see if I can alter what I have in any way

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also try running over the leaves once or twice without the bagger installed. Grinding them up before bagging them will GREATLY increase how many you can fit into those bags.
That has crossed my mind, but that boot (the piece that attaches the deck) is such a bother to install and take off that I only like to do that once or twice a year, and leaf fall season lasts a month and a half here. I should just get a tow behind, but I imagine those are $1000 or so. Am I right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Used tow behind vacs CAN be had for $500. Deals are out there, but this time of year normally doesn’t yield many good deals that last very long. Easier to find in the summer.
day late and a dollar short :). Maybe next year. I got other things I need as well, so that's a future purchase I suppose.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
If you want to get a good deal on something like that, I find that you generally need to look for it all the time, as the better of a deal it is, the faster it gets sold (results may vary with your location).

·
Registered
117 Posts
@Farming,

You need a Brush Hog for where your tractor is , not a mower deck .... just sayin

·
Administrator
17,187 Posts
Had the issue with an older tractor where the previous owner had cut a section off of the tube. Why? He couldn't remember but thought he was using the tube for something else and that it would still work in the bagger. Went to local hardware store and got a single section of galv. stove pipe. Cut to size and used as a short extender on bagger end. Duck tapped together. BTW get a piece to fit over tube so leaves don't get stuck against edge. Worked for years.until bags wore out and by then had a Cyclone Rake. Which backs up very accurately because of the way hitch is made.
MikeC

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you tried clamping or screwing the two pieces together? I have used self tapping screws on one before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts