My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all let me say hello and thanks for any advice or opinions you have to offer. I have finally saved up enough to get going on creating an actual yard around my home, instead of just mowing down weeds and pretending it's grass like I have been for a couple of years. It's not fooling anybody.

Buying a new-to-me tractor is step one. Around 20 or so years ago, my parents bought a house with an old shed out back with a tractor sitting in it. The folks they bought the house from said it was there when they bought the house, however long ago that was. I'm going over there for dinner tommorrow and I'll look for the #'s, but I remember it saying McCormick and 300 on it. Don't hold me to that though till tommorrow.

Now that I'm in the market for a tractor, having access to a complete parts tractor seems like a strong incentive to buy a Farmall. But I can't seem to find any info on anyone grading and leveling with one. Is there some issue with them that makes them not well suited for this type of work? Sorry if this is a stupid question. What ever I buy will be my first tractor and I would like to make sure I buy the right tool for the job. Any and all answers, opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yeah they are not used very often to grade because they lack a 3 point hitch. These are just pulling tractors that were used with horse drawn equipment (with the hitch converted over of course) or for flywheel work. It was not until Fordson came out with the 3 point hitch that tractors started getting 3 point hitches on them.

But you are not out of luck. I can't remember the name of the company that builds after-market 3 point hitches for these tractors, but they are out there (advertising 6 months ago) and for not a lot of money. Basically for $500 bucks you can turn a old Farmall or McCormick tractor into a tractor that has a 3 point hitch. Not a bad deal really.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I've read about the lack of a 3point and the adaptors they sell. But other than that can you think of any other drawbacks?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Some Farmalls have a hydraulic one point lift called a fast hitch. The only downside to this hitch is that they only use Farmall specific attachments, which are still made today but are getting harder to find.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can usually find a Farmall with a 3 point already on it too. I just picked up a Farmall C with a 3 point on it, off my local Craigslist.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Another drawback I've heard is the transmissions. They are three speed units, and geared ultra-slow, slow, and Hang On! Good plowing and wagon tractors, but can be hard to use for some applications like mowing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Another drawback I've heard is the transmissions. They are three speed units, and geared ultra-slow, slow, and Hang On! Good plowing and wagon tractors, but can be hard to use for some applications like mowing.
I've never seen a Farmall with a three speed, but my C has a 4 speed, and my H and M have 5 speeds. I don't know what you consider slow for a tractor, but they'll do about 20mph in 5th!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The number I found was 21003 SJ. A quick search leads me to believe it's a 1955. Will double and triple check that when I get more time. It also appears the 300 was only made for three years, so I'm assuming that all years parts should be interchangable. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

@1slow346- if you've had a chance to use it yet, what's your opinion of the 3point adaptor. Anything in paticular you dislike about it? I'd appreciate your or anyone's .02 cents on the pros and cons of them.

Thanks again everyone, I'd never even heard of a 1point hitch before, learning stuff already!

·
Registered
182 Posts
@1slow346- if you've had a chance to use it yet, what's your opinion of the 3point adaptor. Anything in paticular you dislike about it? I'd appreciate your or anyone's .02 cents on the pros and cons of them.
I have four tractors, two with a three point, two with a drawbar.

My Ford 640 and Farmall C have a three point, my Farmall H and Farmall M do not. They each have their pro's and cons. I havn't used the 3 point on the C for much since I usually only use my three point for pulling a blade during the winter to plow snow. With that it comes in EXTREME handy, so I'm sure for what you're looking to do a three point will suit you nicely. It's also nice with my Woods finish mower, because I can constantly adjust the height of the mower. But there are also things I do on my farm that I prefer the drawbar tractors for, such as brush hogging, pulling the **** spreader (with the three point rear end it sways a lot and moves around) and for pulling my haywagon and moving my horse trailers around. Anything with a ball hitch (trailers, wagons) the three point is a PITA in my opinion. Like I said, for me it's nice having both, but for what you want, I think adding a three point hitch to a Farmall would work out great for you. If you already have access to a 300, then you're already ahead of the game. Toss a three point on it, and do your thing!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I forgot to add my Ford 640 utility tractor came factory with the three point, and my Farmall C has an aftermarket unit added (Not sure of the brand) but the aftermarket unit works just as perfect as the factory unit on the Ford.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sounds to me like the tractor in your parents shed is a '56-57 Farmall 300, a very desirable tractor. Live hydraulics, live pto, torque amplifier (basically a 10spd manual transmission), probably has a two-point "Fast Hitch". Depending on its configuration, narrow front or wide front and the lay of your land it could be a very capable unit.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I forgot to add my Ford 640 utility tractor came factory with the three point, and my Farmall C has an aftermarket unit added (Not sure of the brand) but the aftermarket unit works just as perfect as the factory unit on the Ford.
I just got my M plumbed up with an early Saginaw with double cylinders. I am very disapointed. The geometry is wrong. I have several Fords, the Farmall is clumsy in comparison. And beleive me, I love this M! I need to change the seat pedestal to the forward shock style just so the top link doesn't crash into it.

Do you run stabilizers on your Ford?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You might not want to call that tractor in your parents shed a parts tractor. I bet that with a liitle work and a few new parts you could have it up and running. Maybe you can get your partents to give you that 300 and them you would have more to spend towards other thing that you might need or want for the tractor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts