My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a new GR2020 a few days ago and, while I really like it, I noticed a sort of whining noise coming from the rear (transmission perhaps?) when making sharp turns. The dealer rep said it has something to do with the "glide steer" technology that is used. I just found it annoying and am wondering if it's common with these?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My GR2120 does it. Same machine but Diesel.

It will be more pronounced the sharper you turn, and will certainly be louder if the engine is not running at PTO speed.

I just got mine and haven't had a chance to mow with it yet, but I wear earbuds and listen to music when I am mowing so don't think it will bother me.

Jared

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jared. It's just a bit annoying. I'm sure it's not indicative of anything wrong and probably is just a function of the glide steer mechanism, but when I heard it the first time it was just a bit worrisome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hydrostatic transmission? Sounds like a bypass to slow the inside tire in the turn. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it doesn't do it while driving straight but I can see where it would be annoying. I'm typically fairly in tune with the noises of whatever I'm driving, that barely noticeable squeak today can lead to hundreds of dollars in repair costs tomorrow.

To heck with the salesman, he's trying to make a commission on a sale, I'd talk to the mechanic. He's going to make a buck on repairs too but he's already got a heavy workload so he may be a little more likely to give advice than have a new owner breathing down his back over how long it will take him to fix a broken tractor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts