My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Iosif and I am from Greece. I am trying to rebuild a hoof governor for a very old Zamboni (which is a resurfacing machine for ice rinks). Not exactly tractor but I think these governors are not built any more? There is a hoof Governor site but haven't received a reply from them.
Anyhow I saw some people have rebuit mechanical governors here and might shed some light. I have taken everything apart and found that there is a lot of play from the main axle and the bearing which in effect lets the fly weights scrape the sides of the assembly. The unit was leaking oil and it literally exploded making a hole to the assy. The axle is not straight and the part where the bearing should be is thinner (actually has a sort of bump)...Am I missing something here ? Hoof model is BD936A
I was thinking maybe try and have a new axle made at a machinist shop. Sorry for my English tech terms are probably wrong.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you. The order of the parts is how i put it back together. 2nd photo showing the play of the bearing.
Iosif

Street light Body jewelry Automotive lighting Grey Sculpture
Street light Body jewelry Automotive lighting Grey Sculpture

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
Welcome jkape.

That governor looks somewhat similar to the units on our gravelys. It's a little hard to tell exactly what's going on there.

That shaft (axle) does not look right, I'd guess that somebody blew up a bearing and just ran it for a while, wearing an ugly groove in the shaft. The gravely units use a 3/8" straight shaft, you should be able to make one up out of some stock without to much trouble.

I can't see the evidence of flyweights wearing a hole in the case. That can be repaired, but it takes some careful TIG welding.

By the shaft is not straight, do you mean the worn spot? It looks straight aside from that.

The bearing and seal are available. From memory, that's a 7KF bearing, and a stock 3/4" seal. I'm away from my parts info, so not positive. And those are for the units on gravelys, yours could be different. I recommend matching by dimension.

These governors are really pretty simple. The bearings take some abuse, and usually fail first, which takes out the seal. But if you replace that stuff, clean it up, and re-lube, they'll generally work fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello Losif,
Not sure if this will help, but I believe there is a version of the hoof governor used on the US Military Standard Engine model 4A032 and brand new surplus governors are often seen on Ebay.
This might be a source of parts if not able to make it work as received.
Best of luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts