My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the Pierce governor on my dads LI after his old one blew apart, literally.
However, the new one does absolutely nothing. The arm does not move at all when speeding up or slowing down, and I can only adjust the linkage to have a good idle speed-mid throttle, or mid throttle-full throttle. The arm does move freely when disconnected, however it feels really stiff.

Is there anything that could really go wrong in there? They look pretty simple to me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm no expert but I do know if it's off the tractor and you spin the pulley the arm should move if the arm does not move maybe it's defective

Good luck Dave

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
I've seen governors where the arm is stuck or stiff. From disuse, I believe.

The fix may be as simple as taking it off the machine, making sure it's got fresh lube, and working the arm back and forth a bit to free it up. If that doesn't yield results, you may have to open it up, clean it out etc. Doing that should result in proper operation unless the mechanicals are shot.

A properly working governor should allow the arm to move from slight finger pressure. It should push back on your finger when you give the pulley a good spin.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.. thats what I wanted to hear. The governor was sitting for at least 10 years with no use, so hopefully that's the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts